Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Repair

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 chow2rich

chow2rich

• Members
  • 218 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 PM

Posted 09 March 2008 - 02:05 PM

I have both Windows XP Pro and Windows Vista. I need both of my computers repaired of ActiveX. Can anyone help me with this? And how much would it cost. Is there a freeware? If so, please help. Thanks. Both of my computers need ActiveX repair.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ucanfixit

ucanfixit

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2008 - 02:10 PM

Your request is too broad in nature. Specifically, can you describe the events leading up to your assumption that you need an ActiveX repair?

#3 chow2rich

chow2rich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 218 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2008 - 02:23 PM

I tried playing something on the web. It said need to install ActiveX. I did, but it said Windows blocked it because unknown publisher. I trust the publisher. But it won't work. Please help.

#4 ucanfixit

ucanfixit

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2008 - 02:30 PM

I tried playing something on the web. It said need to install ActiveX. I did, but it said Windows blocked it because unknown publisher. I trust the publisher. But it won't work. Please help.

Who is the publisher that you trust?

Edited by ucanfixit, 09 March 2008 - 02:31 PM.

#5 n0data

n0data

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2008 - 02:31 PM

That has to do with security settings, not a corruption of ActiveX. If you're using Internet Explorer: Go to Tools>Internet Options and click that. Click on the security tab. Click on the "Internet" icon. It should now tell you a level, eg. Medium High. Click Custom-Level. Scroll down and look for ActiveX controls and Plug-In's. Where it says "Download Unsigned ActiveX Controls", If it isn't already, set it to "Enable". Underneath that it should say "Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe for scripting". If it isn't already, set it to "Prompt" Hopefully, this should work for you.

Thanks,
n0data

#6 ucanfixit

ucanfixit

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2008 - 02:46 PM

Nice response n0data; however, I was just trying to determine if the poster was placing him/herself at risk before giving them that information. But you did good and you saved me a bunch of typing too!

#7 n0data

n0data

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2008 - 04:33 PM

I was contemplating that as well while i was going through it so I put as many prompts as I could for security reasons =P. To be honest, I haven't ever been a victim of any ActiveX maliciousness, nor have I heard of it but if he runs AV he should be fine.

Thanks,
n0data

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users