Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What Are These Files In My Windows/temp Folder?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 essential

essential

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 AM

Posted 09 March 2008 - 01:21 PM

I just formatted my machine about a week ago. I've been reinstalling my programs the last few days and everything had been going fine. Today when installing a program I noticed when it asked me where I wanted to install, it said I had 39gigs free on my C:\ drive. Well, I have a 74gig Raptor, which is 69gigs after format NFTS. There is no way I have 29gigs taken after a week.

I have system restore turned off. I run ccleaner a couple times a day, so I thought it wasn't temps files. I ran a HD check, and it also shows I only have about 7-8gigs worth of files on the C:\ drive. This issue was driving me crazy.

I found the culprits after a while. My Windows/Temp file is full with something, but I don't know what. I don't understand why the HD analyzer didn't see these files. I had to manually look at the properties of each individual folder to find them. CCleaner doesn't clean them. My hijack this log is clean, and like I said, I just formatted a week ago, and have been running AV since the format. An AV scan of this folder comes back clean with Kaspersky fully updated.

Anyone know what these files are or what program causes them?

http://sbriglia.com/images/hdspace.jpg
http://sbriglia.com/images/hdspace02.jpg

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2008 - 01:39 PM

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb896642.aspx

here's a good tool for investigating what's going on?

sounds like some software "glitched" during it's install

google wasn't very helpful
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 ucanfixit

ucanfixit

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2008 - 01:48 PM

Looks like they might be a product of Kapersky AV updates; see here for one of the filenames: http://spywaredlls.prevx.com/RRACBF34952983/PR3A7.TMP.html
Personally, I would send them directly to the trash can. If Kapersky really needs them, believe me, they will "grow" back. So, in essence, you might be using Kapersky to scan the files that Kapersky is generating.

Edited by ucanfixit, 09 March 2008 - 01:51 PM.

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:11:28 PM

Posted 09 March 2008 - 02:13 PM

There are 2 files containing temps. One is temporary internet files, the other is the temp files. Temp files are created when certain programs are run or installed. (Windows is SUPPOSED to delete these files automatically but it often misses LOTS and these files, if left behind, can cause many problems with your computer.) Temp files should be deleted when the application using them closes, but many times they are not. Over time, the files build up, take up drive space and can affect your computers performance. These temp files are safe to delete.

#5 essential

essential
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2008 - 04:06 PM

Yea, I thought I was cleaning both Temps everyday with CCleaner. CCleaner cleans Temp Internet Files, and Temp Files, at least according to the program, but for some reason those files were skipped. I posted on the Kaspersky forums as well and they confirmed they were generated from Kas, although I still don't know why it needs 20gigs. I deleted them all manually, and for some reason since CCleaner doesn't delete them, I just created a shortcut on my desktop and will delete it all manually a couple times a day.

Thanks for the input.

#6 ucanfixit

ucanfixit

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2008 - 08:27 AM

A good self-analysis and solution as well. However, many programs (unfortunately) have to be maitained in a similar manner. One of the most notorious of them all was (or maybe still is) the Zone Alarm Free Version which left daily log and config files in some directory and they had to be manually cleaned as well. I don't know if they ever fixed that on future version but it was a real pain to have to remember to delete them periodically.

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2008 - 11:39 AM

Yea, I thought I was cleaning both Temps everyday with CCleaner. CCleaner cleans Temp Internet Files, and Temp Files, at least according to the program, but for some reason those files were skipped. I posted on the Kaspersky forums as well and they confirmed they were generated from Kas, although I still don't know why it needs 20gigs. I deleted them all manually, and for some reason since CCleaner doesn't delete them, I just created a shortcut on my desktop and will delete it all manually a couple times a day.

Thanks for the input.

I prefer ATF Cleaner for file cleanup
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users