Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Connection

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 imperious

imperious

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 AM

Posted 09 March 2008 - 11:58 AM

I am having trouble with a new satellite system i recently bought, "free to air".
It requires to be hooked up to the internet so it can download the necessary software and updates. Its connected to my router and i know the router is working.

but some where it is not making the proper connection between the satellite box and my computer. Im not sure if it has some thing to do with a firewall or something with how the internet is set up.
If any one has this system or might know how to fix it, it would be appreciated.
IMPERIOUS

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kristopher McDougall

Kristopher McDougall

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 09 March 2008 - 03:22 PM

Greetings!
Correct me if I am wrong but as I understand it you have a satellite box that hooks up to your router and then out to the internet. Sometimes these things require a specific port to be used to communicate with whatever server it gets its updates from. This is easy to do on all routers but the steps are a little different for each one so it would help to know what kind you have (linksys, netgear, dlink, etc) If this is the case that you need to use a specific port it should be listed in the documentation that came with the box, if not I would check the faq on the 'free to air' website. If you know what IP address the box is getting you could also try to DMZ that address which basically allows everything to go through to that box like it was connected directly to the internet and not going through your router. I would not recommend leaving it at this setting but to use for testing purposes only. Something else to consider, is the box getting an IP address from DHCP or do you have to set it up with a static address? Again, this would be stated in the documentation if required.

Hope this info gives you a starting point.

KM

#3 neon_boy82

neon_boy82

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 AM

Posted 12 August 2008 - 11:41 AM

I am having the same problem with my FTA Reciever. It is connected to the internet via a D-Link EBR-2310 router but it won't connect to my computer. I have turned off the firewall on the router and on my Trend Micro virus scanner. I cannot ping the reciever from my computer, it comes up timed out. The settings on the reciver look like this:

DHCP

IP Address 192.168.000.100
Subnet Mask 255.255.255.000
Gateway 192.168.000.001
PVR Server IP Address 192.168.000.110

I have tried setting the IP Address on the router in the DMZ bit it still didn't work. Whe I try to connect it says "failed to connect to 192.168.000.110." Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. Also, I am running windows XP.

Edited by neon_boy82, 12 August 2008 - 11:43 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users