Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Pro Will Not Start In Safe Mode

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 mcdriver

mcdriver

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 PM

Posted 09 March 2008 - 11:34 AM

I am trying to run SD Fix to clean uo. I tend to download and try all sorts of programs.

I can F8 to the selection screen but cannot start in any of the Safe Modes. Starts normal only.
Can SD Fix be run from normal?
Also lost standby choice in shutdown screen, may be coincidence.
Toshiba Tecra, 2 gb ram, XP Pro sp2
Any suggestions?

Thanks for your time and interest

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mcdriver

mcdriver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2008 - 11:49 AM

the arrow buttons work fine. I have tried all three safe modes. It scrolls a list of entries, then a blue screen appears, disappears too quick to possibly read. then starts in normal mode

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 09 March 2008 - 11:52 AM

My response above was deleted, because I realized you had a laptop and my suggestion would have been appropriate for a desktop.

Alternate method: (from pchell)

Close all open programs.

Click Start, Run and type MSCONFIG in the box and click OK

The System Configuration Utility appears, On the BOOT.INI tab, Check the "/SAFEBOOT" option, and then click OK and Restart your computer when prompted.

The computer restarts in Safe mode.

Perform the troubleshooting steps for which you are using Safe Mode.

When you are finished with troubleshooting in Safe mode, open MSCONFIG again, on the BOOT.INI tab, uncheck "/SAFEBOOT" and click OK to restart your computer

Edited by Queen-Evie, 09 March 2008 - 11:55 AM.

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 AM

Posted 09 March 2008 - 11:53 AM

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/131299/how-to-use-sdfix/

follow the directions at the bottom of this guide, malware that messes with a safe mode boot is not something you want to tackle your self

forcing a safe mode boot by disabling normal mode could stick you into a BSOD loop
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#5 mcdriver

mcdriver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2008 - 11:57 AM

Is it ok to run SDFix in normal mode?

#6 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2008 - 12:07 PM

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/134660/serious-boot-problem/

have you tried any less powerful/dangerous tools?

Super antispyware or malwarebyte's antimalware work fairly well from normal mode?
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#7 mcdriver

mcdriver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2008 - 12:11 PM

no, not tried, will lookup and try?

Just tried to boot safe mode again after installing SD Fix, still starts normal.

#8 AndyManchesta

AndyManchesta

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2008 - 12:23 PM

Hi ,

No SDFix only runs its fix part in safe mode, if you think there's malware problems then I'd suggest posting a HijackThis log first and letting the helpers here assist you as sdfix will just remove afew specific infections so it would be no help at all to most users, the helpers here will be able to identify the malware once you post the logs and then they will be able to suggest the right tools to help you clean it up ,

You could run it in normal mode and run one of the command line AV scanners which is the 1,2 & 3 options as it will then download the files and start scanning for any malware, the Sophos scanner is excellent but the others from Norman and a-squared also do a great job, you could also check the safe boot key by choosing D on the normal mode sdfix menu which will export the SafeBoot registry key and open it in notepad named safeboot.txt, if you use that option then post it back as that may show why you cannot boot to safe mode

Andy

#9 mcdriver

mcdriver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2008 - 12:27 PM

Thanks for your reply.
I think I am over my head here. I am going to leave it alone for a while, I am not understanding what I am trying to do. sort of lost in a fog.

#10 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 09 March 2008 - 12:28 PM

To add to what Andy said: (since he is the expert, it might be better if you follow his suggestions)

Read the information

HERE:Preparation Guide For Use Before Posting A Hijackthis Log
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/

Prior to posting a HJT log, we ask that you please read and
follow all instructions in the pinned topic titled
Preparation Guide For Use Before Posting A Hijackthis Log.
Following the steps in this Guide will allow the HJT Team
to quickly help you with specific fixes for what may
remain on your system.

Please complete all the steps in the Guide.
If you have performed some of them already, then
just continue with the next. If you can't perform a step,
then skip it and continue with the next. The last step will
include downloading and using the most current version of
HijackThis if the first line of your log does not appear as follows:

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2

Please note that it is important that HijackThis be run and a log created while in normal mode. If you run it and create your log while in safe mode, you will be asked to redo it again properly. When you have completed those steps, start a new topic in the HijackThis Logs and Malware Removal forum as directed in the Guide to post a new log.

The log should be posted in

HijackThis Logs and Malware Removal
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/22/virus-trojan-spyware-and-malware-removal-logs/

Please DO NOT post your log to this topic, or post a log in the wrong forum.

Once that is done, a Member of the HJT Team will analyze your log and assist you with step by step instructions to clean your computer or otherwise advise what needs to be done.

Please be patient while you wait for a reply, the malware removal team is very busy and they will get to your log as soon as possible.

Thanks for your cooperation and good luck.
The BC Staff

#11 mcdriver

mcdriver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2008 - 01:01 PM

I am following instructions for posting the HJT info, will post when sure it is properly prepared. Thanks to all for your help

#12 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,009 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2008 - 06:52 PM

Hello mcdriver,

I see that you have successfully posted your HJT log here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/135755/xp-pro-sp2-lost-standby-and-cannot-boot-safemode/ Please be patient. They are very busy over there - but they WILL get to you. If you haven't had a reply by, let's say April 3, then post the link to your HJT log as a reply here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic14717.html

Please DO NOT make any further changes to your computer: deleting files, editing the registry, using special fix tools, installing or uninstalling software etc. as this will make it more difficult for the HJT team to help you.

To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic. Once the HJT team has cleared you and if you are still experiencing the problem in the initial post and need the thread reopened, send a PM to a moderator.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users