Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Add-ons Disabled Causing All Kinds Of Problems

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 vrankovic1

vrankovic1

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 PM

Posted 09 March 2008 - 09:39 AM

Hi, when we had problems in the computer with Trojans, we reset everything. (we have a Gateway, Windows XP setup).

Up til then, we could download, access our aol e-mail, and use the internet explorer. Everything is blocked. We tried going back to the original computer settings, also going to Tools to change add-on to enable. But we couldn't add on aol, internet explorer and still am blocked. We can use the net going thru the main screen of aol or our server, which is Comcast. But functions are limited and wonder how we can get this back to where it was.

This problem was probably started when we downloaded One Live from Microsoft. We received a prompt from Microsoft that Comcast's McAfee was interfering with the program and we should delete it, which we did.

Many thanks for any help you can give me, especially a Step 1 to get started would be great.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX ... if it works *s*

(Moderator edit: E-mail address removed to prevent its being harvested by spambots and to protect Member privacy. jgweed)

Edited by jgweed, 09 March 2008 - 09:52 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 PM

Posted 09 March 2008 - 04:47 PM

Posted ImageHi and welcom to this board;
one might ask to begin with how you got the apparent infection and how you dealt with it? do you know for definite at this point in time that you are infection free ? who has confirmed this for you ?

#3 vrankovic1

vrankovic1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2008 - 08:58 PM

hi Ruby, the computer went from bad to worse today. I think the majority of the problems started when I deleted McAfee to install another program that was "supposed" to get rid of Trojans, but didn't. Anyway, I deleted everything on the computer, which I didn't want to do. Got rid of lots of excess programs, and even some popups that were deeply hidden, even popping up when I did a total restore. Guess the computer was in bad shape. It's running like it never ran before... as it should... like the wind and not like a slug *s*.

Thank you for your help, love this site and the great people!

#4 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2008 - 07:28 AM

may one ask if you are still requiring help?or are you content with what you have at present ?( I hope you do have AN antivirus protection package on board?)

#5 vrankovic1

vrankovic1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2008 - 08:08 AM

hi Ruby, so far so good, the computer is working better than when it was first installed. We added a free virus protection from Firefox and from what we were told, it's better than McAfee. Thank you for all.... it's great to know we have help from people like you in times of stress !!

#6 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2008 - 02:31 PM

HiPosted Image would you kindly confirm that you have only ONE antivirus program installed ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users