Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linux Won't Boot (wubi Lol)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 lhamil64

lhamil64

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 AM

Posted 09 March 2008 - 09:17 AM

I used Wubi to install Ubuntu (well i tried Kubuntu first but it wouldnt boot either so i uninstalled wubi and reinstalled it with ubuntu)
The problem is when i select "Ubuntu" from the boot menu, it shows a command-line thing on the screen with a bunch of commands, and then it just goes to a blank screen. No blinking cursor, nothing. I waited a few minutes (or maybe just a minute but still) and it just sits there. This same thing happened with Kubuntu. It would be nice to have a dual boot on this machine (i have only gotton Ubuntu installed on 1 machine before, all other times have failed) without using a CD.

The machine i currently have Ubuntu on is a very old laptop without much RAM, and it can barely handle Ubuntu.

The machine I am trying to install it on is a Dell Dimension 2400 with a fresh install of Windows XP Pro, 30gb of HD space, and 512mb of RAM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Trio3b

Trio3b

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 AM

Posted 10 March 2008 - 12:16 AM

Apparently the Dell 2400 graphics card is supported by Linux drivers, but we would need to know more about what the "command line" stuff you are talking about that appears. Not Always, but usually when you have a blank screen there's a problem with the xserver (graphics card problem). If there is an xorg problem, then you should be dropped to a shell login, but you say there is nothing? Apparently the splash screen/xorg server is borked.

Here's a link to someone with a similar problem. here

I know this won't help you but I have installed 10-12 different distros on about 40 different PCs. Sorry to say that I have had more installation problems with Ubuntu and it's variations than any other distro.

Good Luck

Edited by Trio3b, 10 March 2008 - 12:21 AM.

#3 lhamil64

lhamil64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 AM

Posted 10 March 2008 - 02:26 PM

well, i don't wait too long, but (and i'm not sure how) i did get a command line at one point. It was a command line asking for my username, i typed that in, and then it asked for my password, i typed that in, and it came up with a command line (like what the terminal window on the GUI in Ubuntu) Also, remember i am pretty much a total noob when it comes to linux (but i'm pretty good with windows) and this install is just so i can learn more (and tinker a little bit :thumbsup: )

The first thing i talked about is just text printed out (the thing i said earlier in my first post) I will try to get the text sometime, but i can't do it right now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users