Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Lcd Monitor Ceased Functioning

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 teabie

teabie

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 AM

Posted 09 March 2008 - 07:38 AM

Hello everyone,

I'm a complete noob when it comes to computers, so I'm hoping I can explain my problem clearly enough and also understand everyone's suggestions!

I have a Dell Dimension 4600 since 2004, so I reckon it's kinda reaching its capacity. Anyhow, I had some problems with my CPU a couple of months before my monitor seized up. I'll list them out, in case they offer more clues to diagnostics.

Whenever I boot my CPU, it says Diskette 0 not found and I always have to press F2 to configure the time and date. After a while, I realised that if I don't switch off the AC socket, I can bypass this process whenever I boot up. I think the "CMOS battery" is dying, but I'm really not sure.

Some months before, the monitor started flickering badly. I solved the problem "temporarily" by installing the newest NVIDIA drivers. Nothing much happened afterwards.

I just moved house and I didn't use my PC for 3 months or so, preferring to use my Dell laptop because of the convenience. Just 3 days ago, I set it up after getting a computer table and everything worked OK until this afternoon.

When I booted up earlier, the monitor did not respond. Usually, with the Dell monitor, I know if it "synchronises" with the PC by its yellow and green lights respectively. If it's yellow, I have to "switch off" the CPU and turn it on again. Also, when I flip on the AC switch for the monitor, it usually flashes a quick "Dell" logo even before I switch on my PC. This time, there's none.

As the CPU loads Windows fully (the Windows theme song is played on the speakers), the monitor's light is green as it should be, but there's absolutely no images. Just completely black. I don't have another standalone monitor to gauge if it's the monitor, the CPU's fault or the "wire" which connects the monitor and the CPU, so I don't know whether I should buy another of that "wire" just to see if it works.

I actually did try using that "wire" and connected it between that monitor and this laptop. When I right-clicked and selected that the Graphics be used on "monitor", my laptop's monitor turned black but my monitor still remained unresponsive (with its green light on). Faced with 2 blank monitors, I didn't know what else to do, so I had to switch off my laptop "manually" by pressing down its power button.

I don't know what's causing my monitor to stop responding completely, and I'm absolutely bad with hardware. Short of sending everything to the nearest repair shop (in which I reckon I'll pay a BOMB), I am at my wit's end. I hope somebody knows the solution!

Thanks! :thumbsup:

Edited by teabie, 09 March 2008 - 07:44 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 PM

Posted 09 March 2008 - 10:27 AM

In answer to your first question, yes you need a motherboard battery. Check for bent or misaligned pins on the monitor cable. Seeing how it is booting and you can hear it, we know it's not the computer. If you're not see a boot screen or the Dell splash screen, I'd almost say it's the monitor, but the only way to know for sure is to borrow a good one to make sure
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 teabie

teabie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 AM

Posted 12 March 2008 - 07:32 AM

Thanks for being so helpful!

Just to ask, is it possible to use my laptop's monitor instead? I really want to access the data in my PC's hard disk.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 PM

Posted 12 March 2008 - 01:00 PM

Thanks for being so helpful!

Just to ask, is it possible to use my laptop's monitor instead? I really want to access the data in my PC's hard disk.

Not that I'm aware of. You can get an inexpensive USB hard drive enclosure and put the hard drive in it and access it that way with your laptop
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users