Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Daylight Savings Time Update On Xp Sp3 Rc2

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ucanfixit

ucanfixit

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 AM

Posted 09 March 2008 - 07:34 AM

Hello all,

I know it is early and I'm still on my first cup of coffee but my cable TV shows 08:32 and my PC shows 07:32 so I tried all the time sync servers and no DST update. Anybody else having the same issue? My time zone is GMT 05:00, Eastern Time (US and Canada).

Nevermind; found my answer here: http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPo...1&SiteID=17

Edited by ucanfixit, 09 March 2008 - 08:15 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 AM

Posted 09 March 2008 - 08:26 AM

I just installed RC2 yesterday successfully, after various attempts over the last couple of weeks :thumbsup:. It's on one system, while I still have SP2 on the other.

Woke up at 0530 this morning, both of my desktops reflect correct time, along with my cable TV box.

Not an XP SP3 RC2 issue, IMO.

Edited to add: Central time zone.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 09 March 2008 - 08:33 AM.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2008 - 08:31 AM

Thanks ucanfixit! SP3 doesn't incorporate all the Time Zone changes - so I had to go into tzedit (from your link) and manually edit the time zones using the information from here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daylight_savi...d#United_States

Worked like a charm! Thanks again!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 ucanfixit

ucanfixit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2008 - 08:36 AM

Thanks ucanfixit! SP3 doesn't incorporate all the Time Zone changes - so I had to go into tzedit (from your link) and manually edit the time zones using the information from here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daylight_savi...d#United_States

Worked like a charm! Thanks again!

Hmm... I did the same thing as you but mine did not work. First I did the tzedit and rebooted and the time was still 1 hour behind. So I manually adjusted the clock 1 hour ahead and rebooted. The clock was OK now; however, I did a test syncroniztion with all the time servers (available under the clock/internet time tab) and each one "reset the clock back 1 hour to non DST time. Can you test yours please?

Thanks

NEVERMIND AGAIN... It worked on the "third" boot and now the time sync works also.

Thanks again

Edited by ucanfixit, 09 March 2008 - 08:48 AM.

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2008 - 08:50 AM

Mine was a bit tricky also - I suspect that it was something in Windows that had to verify the date. And it took a while to do that (although I just hit "Update Time" a few times before mine self-corrected)
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 ucanfixit

ucanfixit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2008 - 08:53 AM

Thanks for that info and I'm sorta glad that I wasn't the only one having a problem... You know how the old "misery loves company" saying goes.

Thanks again,

ucanfixit

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2008 - 08:55 AM

Glad that we could commiserate! :flowers: I'm sorta used to it from the beta stuff that I test.

Still can't get IE8 to install - but that's another thread and another reboot! :thumbsup:

#8 ucanfixit

ucanfixit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2008 - 09:12 AM

Glad that we could commiserate! :flowers: I'm sorta used to it from the beta stuff that I test.

Still can't get IE8 to install - but that's another thread and another reboot! :thumbsup:

Whoa... don't even waste your time because I've been there. It only took me 5 minutes to realize that it was truly an alpha install. The very first thing I noticed is that IE8 "requires" you to have automatic updates turned on to access windows update. Then I tried to browse this forum and noticed it was very slow loading as IE8 was trying to "make it look different" (that's the best way I can explain it).

Back on topic. The reason I was really concerned about my PC not updating was because I used NLite to do my SP3 RC2 slipstream and I really eliminated many unnecessary XP items/services during the slipstream process. So much so, that my final installation (on first boot) was less than 800mb. However, it worked perfectly and I am not missing a single XP function that I really cared about and all the "junk" was never installed.

Edited by ucanfixit, 09 March 2008 - 09:14 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users