Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Is Hanging During Gpu-intensive Work

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 over_mind

over_mind

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 PM

Posted 09 March 2008 - 01:39 AM

Hi! I have an HP Pavilion zv6007 notebook with the integrated radeon xpress 200m GPU. About 2 months ago, I noticed that whenever I was involved in something that intensively used the GPU, such as a video game (even one as old as Half Life) or video, that my computer would hang every so often. It would usually hang every 10 minutes, CPU usage would spike to 100% at the time, and would go away after 1 minute or so of waiting then the process repeats itself.

I've tried installing both the NEWEST and some older drivers from ATI for my GPU, but they don't seem to help.

Any ideas?

Thank you.

Edited by over_mind, 09 March 2008 - 01:40 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Visual C++ STL Maintainer

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 PM

Posted 09 March 2008 - 02:35 AM

Sounds like a thermal problem to me. You might want to get one of those "cans of air" and use it on the system's heatsinks in the opposite direction of normal air flow.

Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,689 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 PM

Posted 09 March 2008 - 05:03 AM

As I recall that computer only came with 512MB of RAM, if that is the case then you can increase you performance level by adding another 512MB. There should be two expansion slots with a max. capacity of 1024MB per slot.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 smurfgod

smurfgod

• Members
  • 446 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2008 - 10:10 AM

I feel for ya, my girlfriend has the desktop version of that GPU. 10 FPS in WoW :|

#5 over_mind

over_mind
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2008 - 11:06 AM

I've already increased my RAM to 1 GB. I think you're right about the overheating, I haven't cleaned the interior of the laptop out since I bought it two years ago. I'm kind of scared to open a laptop up, but I guess I don't have a choice.

10 FPS in WoW? Haven't played that game, but I can play Portal fine! with all settings on low...

Edited by over_mind, 09 March 2008 - 11:18 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users