Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firewall Is Blocking My Programs

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Lilu

Lilu

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 AM

Posted 08 March 2008 - 11:53 PM

I very recently got a new computer and re-installed all my programs (it's an HP using Windows Vista). I have tried just about everything I could think of to make my programs work successfully, I even uninstalled my Norton Antivirus in hopes that they would work, but my Windows Firewall is still blocking them, even when I switched it off. The programs that are not working are uTorrent and Blizzard installer. I spent many hours using the tutorial to unblock them from both of my firewalls, but it seems to no avail. Previously uTorrent said it had no incoming connections, now it is not working at all. Blizzard downloader is slightly working, though very very slowly and still says that it is being blocked by my firewall, even when I had it turned off. I am at a complete loss as of what to do, and would appreciate any and all help very much. Thank you for your time (:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 AM

Posted 09 March 2008 - 12:51 AM

most people are behind a firewall that's hardware based, we call it a NAT, it's part of a router and some modems

your software firewalls(there should only be one, never 2) grant exceptions to software that needs to communicate with the internet

your nat is another story

portforward
http://portforward.com/

helps set up routers

BE WARNED! P2P is a dangerous place, most users trash their computers quickly and end up clogging sites like this with their problems

forward ports opens your computer up for attacks/hacking
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 Lilu

Lilu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2008 - 01:05 AM

Mmm, I've spent a good deal of time on PortForward these past couple of days, hah. I'll give it another go, but the last time I spent about an hour following the instructions only to have my internet stop working because I got the DNS servers wrong. (it asks for two, I have three?)
You said I should only have one Firewall, meaning I should either dump the Windows firewall or the Norton one?
Thanks for your advice!

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 AM

Posted 09 March 2008 - 01:16 AM

If everything was working right norton's should have turned off vista's native firewall when it installed, is your version even compatible with vista?

Did you run as administrator when you installed?

Edited by DaChew, 09 March 2008 - 01:17 AM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#5 Lilu

Lilu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2008 - 01:22 AM

If everything was working right norton's should have turned off vista's native firewall when it installed, is your version even compatible with vista?

Did you run as administrator when you installed?

Norton actually came with this computer. All I had to do was input my dad's product key. I'm not sure if I'm set to administrator. I'm actually about to reinstall Norton anyway, so I'll set it to that now.

#6 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2008 - 08:03 PM

Without ever using Vista, Norton, or doing p2p what follows is just guesses.

Norton has a log, I believe, do the logs reveal anything - applications? specific ports blocked?
Norton, as most firewalls, have provisions for permitting an application to connect to the internet and in some situations such as p2p, bittorrent, to act as a server (that's ZA-speak).
Check Norton settings. There must be a place for setting permissions and even ports for the applications.
If Norton came with the computer, chances of it being incompatible are nil in my opinion.

If with Norton disabled it's still trouble, I'd seriously consider shutting off the windows firewall while running Norton (which probably should have turned it off). But I can't be sure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users