Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow Computer

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 razblow

razblow

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 16 March 2005 - 03:01 AM

My computer suddenly started being slow, about 2 weeks ago. Startup is slow. Running any program is slow.

I don't think its a virus because I use:

Pc-Cillin Security

Spybot

and

Ad-Aware

very regularly scanning my computer and updating their definitions.

I also defragmented my computer about a week ago.

Help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stidyup

stidyup

• Members
  • 641 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2005 - 03:43 AM

I'd suggest running your hdd manufacturers diagnostic program, could be a hdd issue causing the problem.

If your unable to identify your hdd manufacturer use either Seagate Seatools which has a generic test which will work on any drive or download EMSA Diskcheck

If either show any errors, back up your data and try running chkdsk. If this fails to correct any errors you can either try doing a zero format (you may need to do several passes) and full reinstall or try this program HDD Regenerator. If either of these fail then it will be a new hdd.

The ultimate BootCD has several tools which will perform a zero wipe of the disk, it even has all the hdd manufacturers testing tools so if you have boardband this is the best option.

If these don't show any errors then I'd suggest posting a hijackthis log in this section of the forum for someone to check that you are not infected.

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 AM

Posted 16 March 2005 - 07:06 AM

Try running HJT and posting it HiJack This Fourm . Follow the instruction to the letter . It may take a day or two to get back with you . These guys (and gals ) are great . Just give'em a chance to help you.

acklan
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2005 - 08:06 AM

Perhaps try cleaning out the cobwebs. Run a program like Ccleaner or Toni Art's Easy Cleaner. An overabundance of temporary and junk files can dramatically slow a computer during the boot process and when you are using it.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#5 razblow

razblow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2005 - 04:51 AM

Thanks for all your help and suggestions. Much appreciated! :-)

I think I've found my problem: I bought my computer with 256 MB Ram. Now, for some reason, my computer's telling me I've only got 96MB ram. The computer went wonkers about a month ago, and I had to reinstall windows. Physical damage, maybe? I assume this would be the best explanation as to my problems...

It gets damn hot here in Australia and my computer did break down on a really damn hot day.

Thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users