Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

(re)install Xp Home Sp1a - What Next?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 longtex

longtex

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 PM

Posted 08 March 2008 - 11:12 PM

Hi, I just put a new HDD in a Compaq R3140 notebook (a damn nice computer, big screen, wireless card, big keyboard, etc. looks to be about vintage 2004). I got it super cheap because the old HDD was toast and the owner just bought a new whizbang.

I've just finished reinstalling its XP Home SP1a from the "recovery" disk, along with the driver disk. My other Win systems have long since been upgraded to SP2 - I am reluctant to just hook up to the 'net and go for it cold and (relatively) unprotected - should I install my SpyBot and AVG first or after the SP2? Should I d/l the SP2 to another computer and install from a CD along with the SD and AVG or what?

Any other advice?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 PM

Posted 08 March 2008 - 11:33 PM

I don't even like applying sp2 to a clean install of xp and doing it over the internet is another problem, you could download the admin install of sp2, burn to cd and install that way

As long as you turn on the xp firewall you should be safe putting xpsp1 on the internet if you only go to a microsoft site

The last thing I would do is install a bunch of protection programs that might bork the upgrade to sp2

If you have a decent nat firewall in your router that's even safer
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 longtex

longtex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2008 - 11:56 PM

I don't even like applying sp2 to a clean install of xp and doing it over the internet is another problem, you could download the admin install of sp2, burn to cd and install that way

As long as you turn on the xp firewall you should be safe putting xpsp1 on the internet if you only go to a microsoft site

The last thing I would do is install a bunch of protection programs that might bork the upgrade to sp2

If you have a decent nat firewall in your router that's even safer

Yah, what I figgered. I seem to recall that SP2'ing it before anything else was the consensus I'd seen. just thought I'd ask around.

I run a SonicWall at home, and not a lot gets through it, so it's probably okay.

It's been so long since I've looked at XP SP1 that I wasn't sure, but the Control Panel has no Security Center, no Windows Firewall... so I was kind of taken aback by that... what the hell, if it gets clobbered, I think I could format and reinstall and not lose much ... <laughs>.

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2008 - 12:02 AM

all that good stuff was instituted with sp2, the firewall is still there, you just have to turn it on when you find it

:thumbsup:

I hate to laugh but it's been years since I went thru this

One of the things that borks sp2 upgrades were the cruddy drivers used for sp1, I have had more problems applying sp1 drivers over the top of sp2 than anything, because I didn't take the time to look in device manager and investigate dates
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#5 longtex

longtex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2008 - 12:33 AM

all that good stuff was instituted with sp2, the firewall is still there, you just have to turn it on when you find it

:thumbsup:

I hate to laugh but it's been years since I went thru this

One of the things that borks sp2 upgrades were the cruddy drivers used for sp1, I have had more problems applying sp1 drivers over the top of sp2 than anything, because I didn't take the time to look in device manager and investigate dates

Yeah, me too - I was trying to remember whether that was sp2 stuff... I stayed clear of XP for so long that sp2 was already pretty much standard by the time I broke down and bought an XP box... I'm not 100% sure I've ever even looked at the cp of an sp1 box, anyway.

Here, laugh some more... I checked the HP/Compaq site, and sure enough, there's an update for the video drivers (there's a shock, huh?)... but it's GONE... both of the links are 404'ed. So, the hell with it, the sp2 stuff's being installed right now... we'll see.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2008 - 08:15 AM

SP2 will bork over 2 things (basically) - malware and incompatible drivers.

If the compatible drivers have been withdrawn from the manufacturer's website - it's usually easiest to go to the hardware manufacturer's website to check for them (which is particularly true for video drivers).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 longtex

longtex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2008 - 03:46 PM

SP2 will bork over 2 things (basically) - malware and incompatible drivers.

If the compatible drivers have been withdrawn from the manufacturer's website - it's usually easiest to go to the hardware manufacturer's website to check for them (which is particularly true for video drivers).

I looked around a bit on the nVidia site, but couldn't tell which (if any) of the 17" widescreen notebook sets would be the right one... so I just went ahead with it. So far, so good. All the current sp2 ++++ stuff seems to be installed and good, avg and sd installed and checked, firefox, tbird, and open office installed and updated and looking 5x5...

The wireless antenna seems to be a helluva lot better than the netgear usb one I use on another little old (dell) notebook (even with the extension cable and waving it around) - I usually see my own wireless and a couple of neighbors' ones, but this puppy picked up the electronics store two blocks away, a college dorm a half-mile up the hill (clean LOS, no trees etc) and several other neighbors as well - three or four of them wide open...

Thanks, sarnt.

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2008 - 07:41 PM

A quick look at the Compaq website shows this download for your video that's SP2 compatible: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwar...228&lang=en

While I'm not 100% sure - I think this is the nVidia driver for that video chipset: http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_93.71_2.html
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users