Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Feature In Sp1?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 AM

Posted 08 March 2008 - 11:05 PM

Evidently the startup repair option is not available to all vista users now

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/repair-windows-with-windows-startup-repair/

Supposedly sp1 will allow users to create their own disk on cd?

In the meantime I found this one link?

http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/windows-vist...-disc-download/

Edited by DaChew, 08 March 2008 - 11:05 PM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2008 - 07:37 AM

On some newer systems the OEM's have customized the Startup Repair options - so inserting their DVD will allow you to run Startup Repair (usually down at the bottom of the list will be a "factory recovery" option).

I've seen this with either Gateway or HP - but can't recall which.

Thanks for the recovery disk link - it'll come in handy!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Johnathan Lyman

Johnathan Lyman

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 AM

Posted 19 March 2008 - 01:24 AM

I thing it's HP. I have a recovery disc with Windows Vista Premium and all the software coded specially onto it.... sad day...
Johnathan Lyman
Keep On Rockin'!

"I know my computer like the back of my hand, so don't go telling me I don't know what's going on."
www.johnathanlyman.com

#4 E-Mu

E-Mu

Bleepin' Psychopomp

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 PM

Posted 20 March 2008 - 02:48 PM

Definatly a handy tool to have this one!
~ E-Mu ~

"Emu, You Moo, We All Moo for Emu!" <-- Thanks to Animal

"If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0"

#5 keny111111

keny111111

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2008 - 02:54 PM

how would i know if the startup repair option is on my pc? i have E machine with vista home basic im very new to computers so be easy on me. thank you for any help
Have A Great Day

...........Kenny.............

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2008 - 02:33 AM

Try this link: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/repair-windows-with-windows-startup-repair/
Did a disc/set of discs come with your computer? Have you made the recovery discs for it?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 keny111111

keny111111

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2008 - 07:45 AM

i got 1 disc [windows anytime upgrade]. theres nothing wrong with my pc [yet] just trying to prepare. i think i made a disc. downloaded IMGBURN and downloaded the disc from post #1. there anyway to check before you really need it?
Have A Great Day

...........Kenny.............

#8 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2008 - 07:56 AM

A dry run is a good idea, when things go wrong is the worst time to perform an unfamiliar operation, read the guide here from the first post and try booting to the disk, you may have burned a coaster and don't know it

I wouldn't start testing many of the advanced tools

NeoSmart Technologies recommends using ImgBurn as a free & reliable solution.

word is finally getting around

I have reccomended it here quite some time ago?

Edited by DaChew, 21 March 2008 - 07:59 AM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users