Good Luck, Anita
For your benefit, the website called bleepingcomputer.com is open 24/7.
It is full of information.
A lot of it consists of questions & answers involving people like yourself
(and I) asking questions about how (and why) Windows OS (operating system) works.
Windows has made OS for about a decade or so.
Most of us are familiar with Win98 (Gold or SE).
Win ME, Win2000, WinNT, WinXP (home & professional).
Win2003, WinThis n' WinThat. Well, I jest.
They all are similar in ways, different in other ways.
OS can also be one of a hundred Linux-type.
Only a small percentage of home PC users will be using them.
Apple makes an OS of it's own, and it's different from the others.
Basically, Blond, Brunette & Red-heads.
Any of the OS's make it possible to run software programs (also called applications).
A program can be one bought (shareware) or made available free (freeware).
Programs exist to do a great assortment of things.
All programs & the OS that makes it possible to "run" the software are created
A file consists of big combinations of "code" that make the computer that reads
the code do certain things.
Any particular program will create/run/allow you to create files with certain "endings"
called extensions attached to their names. The OS recognizes and knows what to do with them, as does the individual application(s).
So your computer has 10,000 or more files. They are organized.
You can see each one, or don't bother.
It's like a head of hair, you wouldn't necessarily look at each strand.
The style comes from how you use the whole thing.
Using a PC online is like going out in the weather.
Better put a hat or scarf on if it's windy.
The problem with the weather is it can foul up a good hair-do.
Same problem online.
Some folks make money or have bragging rights when they can add
(using various methods) FILES that are not good for you, or your PC.
They tend to make the ends brittle and break.
Computers also create files while you use them.
Backup (emergency use) files.
Direction type objects that point to files.
With all that going on ... when you install software,
uninstall it, update it, upgrade it, or simply USE it ...
the files accummulate to a point where/when it needs
cleaning. Techniques for file deletion(s) are discussed here.
Defragmentation of the hard drive (HD) is when the files are rearranged
for quicker & better accessing by the software you run in the windows
version it runs "on". That is something you should know how to do.
It means that the hair grows constantly and needs to be cut regularly.
See, you already know several basics by understanding hair styling.
The website you are at is a forum.
Or, really a combination of forums arranged like hair conditioning products.
Some information for dry hair, some for oily, other information
for hair thats been treated a lot. I think you'll catch on quickly.
The main page is called the INDEX.
When you are on it you'll find anything with an underline (and more)
will be a link to another page.
The little hand appears as you mouse-about when that is a link.
Well, enough, you say ... those things you do know.
Yes, so on with the show. Between appointments you can "navigate"
the forum(s) and read topics that will increase your understanding fast.
It will take some time though.
Try this for starters:On the Index Page, take it from the top:
- tab 1 HOME leading, breaking news & shortcuts.
- tab 2 TUTORIALS admit it, you didn't know THAT!
- tab 3 DISCUSSION hundreds & hundreds of FAQ's.
- tab 4 COMPUPEDIA Better brush up on some of those terms.
- tab 5 RESOURCES Where to go for safe & good stuff.
Left to right at the top of the page below those:
- Bleepingcomputer.com home page
- Discussion Rules and they are simple. Discussion rules!
- Donate hey, this much concentration of resource ain't cheap.
- Startup Database wonder about those processes running? Check 'em out.
- Fun & Games Pool? Pacman? You name it, you can play it here.
- Chat Live conversations, web based chat. Interesting stuff.
- Help is the name of the game around here.
- Members see the community, link to posts.
- Search fast track to relevant information.
- RSS News, News, and more News delivered to your door.
- My Control Panel Avatars, Signatures, more links to particular topics like unanswered posts.
- My Topics each time you post, there is the record to quick reference.
- View New Posts Oh, boy. A little of everything. Changes daily.
- New Personal Messages Hit that PM button and ya' might see this change.
- My Assistant after all that, you might need an assistant.
- Bleepingcomputer.com takes back to the main discussion page. Start all over.
I suggest clicking each and everyone of 'em.
Find your favorite one(s) and learn more.
Do you have an appointment opening for cut & style thursday early afternoon?