Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

nic card install in 98

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jerryc

jerryc

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 AM

Posted 16 March 2005 - 01:16 AM

I have 4 systems and want to network them. I have several cards.
Card specs; 2 kingston cards, 3 SMC, 1 3com.
Systems; one is set up to multiboot, with 98, 2K, XP, and Server.
one is 98, one is 2K but may change it to xp. One is an old packard bell with 95 that may get 98 but maybe not.
The 95 system has a kingston card and it works. the 98 does not have a card and I want it to have one and not change the OS. The 2K has a card that I think works.
the multiboot; well, there's the issue. I put in the 3com card and 2K, xp, and server all found it and automatically installed it and it works. the thing is I want it to work in 98 also, or one of the SMC cards instead if I get the drivers.
I got drivers from the 3com site and unzipped to first, my drivers, and it didn't work; wizard said that location doesn't have a driver. So I unzipped it to system and that didn't work either, same result. What am I missing? I figure if I can make it work in this system I can make it work in the other 98only system and that's what I want, or at least learn the procedure so I can put in one of the SMC cards there. I hope this isn't too confusing, but the main question is what is it about 98 that takes special treatment? Anyone know of a site with step by step?
I've looked at some but they have only the standard info, and I don't have anything on a disc.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 AM

Posted 16 March 2005 - 02:56 PM

When you reinstall the drivers did you remove the NIC from the Device Manager ? Remove it from the list and reboot . Win98 should see it after reboot . When it ask you to auto. config. say NO , select it from a list . Choose Have Disk select Browse and point to the folder the .INF it is in . It will prompt you for the 98 disk , have it handy .

acklan
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 jerryc

jerryc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 AM

Posted 18 March 2005 - 01:05 PM

I did that, didn't work. Also I don't have a 98 disc, just a restore disc and I believe that it can only reinstall the whole thing and not separate files.
I did find more info on the 3com site, which says that you have to use a 'preinstall disc' that removes the drivers that are already installed in 98, before putting in the card, as they conflict with the ones for this card and only then put the card in the slot and do the rest. I don't have that disc either. Someone asid that I can remove them manually but I'm not sure he's correct. ???

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users