Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Services.exe - Application Error. The Application Failed To Initialize (0xc0000005)., Windows Xp Professional Sp2

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ladyleo1971

ladyleo1971

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 PM

Posted 08 March 2008 - 07:03 PM

My original post was in the Window XP/Pro discussion. This is continuation from there as did not know if I needed to copy them over here........ :thumbsup:

This still happens when I start the machine: Services.exe - Application Error. The Application Failed To Initialize (0xc0000005)., Windows XP Professional SP2

Then it will take its time loading....and if I try and install something it won't; it will shut itself off and restart..i think it has a mind of its on.... ok the following is what I have found today...this will all be hand type as the floppy drive does not work, the internet connection says it up in Task Monitor but to get online its not happening.

Last night I attempted to run Spy-Bot Search and Destroy; it said I needed to load the definitions file....but I have no online access...so...does anyone know how to update with out being online?

Here is what I started with today.

Turn machine on. Still get Services.exe - Application Error.

Decided to uninstall some of the useless program that are no longer needed. Here is list as follows and results:

Add & Remove Programs:

Uninstall Dell DJ Explorer
The Installshield Engine (iKernel.exe)
could not be launched. The RPC server is unavailable.

Google Earth
An Error (-5009:0x800706ba) has occurred while running setup.
Please make sure you have finished any previous setup and closed other applications. If the error still occurs, please contact vendor: Google (http://www.keyhole.com

Living Marine Aquarium Screen Saver
The software was installed under an account with administrator rights. You should log onto an account with administrator rights to uninstall this program.

Attempted to download from a CD Norton_AntiBot_setup_en_us
Download would not start

Task Manager - view- update speed--changed to low--then download from above (Norton AntiBot) started from CD.
Received- Windows Installer- The windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if you are running windows in safe mode, or if windows installer is not correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance.

Component Services- Services (Local)
Services
Unable to open service control manager database on .
ERROR 1307: This security ID may not be assigned as the owner of this object.

Avast! Virus Cleaner Tool - ver. 1.0.211 Unicode (Start as Restricted privileges) running from CD
3/8/2008, 10:17:19am
Memory scanning started....
No virus body found in memory
Memory scanning finished (1.9)s.
File scanning stared...
C:\Program Files\Symantec\Live update\ALUNOTIFY.EXE...file could not be scanned
C:\Program Files\Symantec\Live update\AUPDATE.EXE...file could not be scanned
C:\Program Files\Symantec\Live update\LUINFO.INF...file could not be scanned
C:\Program Files\Symantec\Live update\NDETECT.EXE...file could not be scanned
C:\Windows\repair\default...file could not be scanned
C:\Windows\repair\security....file could not be scanned
C:\Windows\system32\config\AppEvent.Evt... file could not be scanned
C:\Windows\system32\config\default.sav...file could not be scanned
C:\Windows\system32\config\SecEvent.Evt...file could not be scanned
C:\Windows\system32\config\software.sav.....file could not be scanned
C:\Windows\system32\config\SysEvent.Evt...file could not be scanned
C:\Windows\system32\config\system.sav...file could not be scanned

No Virus body found.
File scanning finished (52519 files, 0 infected) 447.1sec.
Drives scanned:C:

Norton Antivirus file name(NAV081550)
downloading from CD

Start extracting files
Received: Install Program as other User
Some programs will not install correctly if you do not have administrative privileges on this computer.
If you know the password to an administrative account, you can use that account to install the program.
*Run the program as STILLION\Ricky
*Run the program as the following user:
Tried First: Administrator
Did not install
Tried Second: Michelle (account I created and never loaded)
Did not Install

Tried Third:
Box came up: Run AS
Which user account do you want to run this program

* *current user (STILLION\Ricky)
#Protect my computer and data from unauthorized program activity.
This option can prevent computer virus from harming your computer or personal data, but selecting it may cause the program to function improperly.
(left this box unchecked)
* the following user
Admin
Michelle
OK

Set up Requirements check
This product requires that you have admin rights to install/uninstall. Please log in as an Admin to cont.
OK

Abexo Free Registry Cleaner 1.0.0.0
Reg. Backed up
at least 150 problems found I did not fix any, I was afraid of making the machine even more unstable.
(could not give a log as I am having to hand type this whole thing) But, if it will help someone help me solve this I will do it. As I would like to save the hard drive as I don't have another Windows disk to use. I have worked in the registry on other machines before and am willing to on this one if I need to. Have already told the lady that brought me the machine that I may be on its last leg and she did not care, she would just chunk it....well I am going to try my luck on getting it up and running again with the same OS in place if possible.

Downloaded ADAwareSE updates from CD opened and extracted to Lavasoft file.

Scan cleaned up 12 references 4 AltnetBDE and 9 Topsearch

Turned off the unit...screen turns blue...with the mouse hourglass...takes 5 mins for the windose Logging off Screen...and another 4 mins before saving your settings screen and then another..7 mins before Windows is shutting down..3 more before it shut down...

I let it sit for 10mins

Reboot 5:15 pm
Counter on motherboard reading 52
loading xp screen 5:17pm
mother board counter changes to FF and screen reads: Services.exe - Application Error. The Application Failed To Initialize (0xc0000005).,

press ok twice as there are two of these saying the same thing....then black screen with cursor 5:19pm
can hear both dvd roms running but they only lite of for a moment, can hear hard drive running at 5:29Pm cursor turned from arrow to hourglass. Windows is starting up screen comes up at 5:36 pm. Screen saver (that I know I turned off) came on at 5:45p.m Loading personal settings at 5:51pm. Screen goes blue with arrow cursor 5:54p.m. ..floppy drive lights up, cd drives light up 5:58p.m. Tool bar loads hidden 5:59p.m. Icons load 6:01p.m Tool bar still hidden but right clicking unhides it...

going to let it sit for a bit...not sure where to go from here...any suggestions...

Edited by Orange Blossom, 09 March 2008 - 04:16 PM.
correct tags and some spelling

"When you're chewing on life's gristle
Don't grumble, give a whistle
And this'll help things turn out for the best...
And...always look on the bright side of life...
Always look on the light side of life."

Monty Python's Life of Brian

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 PM

Posted 08 March 2008 - 11:16 PM

Link to previous topic: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/135040/servicesexe-application-error-the-application-failed-to-initialize-0xc0000005/

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Internet Security, NoScript Firefox ext.

animinionsmalltext.gif

#3 ladyleo1971

ladyleo1971
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 PM

Posted 09 March 2008 - 01:39 AM

Thanks Orange Blossom, I wanted to put link in but was unsure how.

Update, I started it back up this time not clicking ok on those to services.exe errors. Windows finely loaded but after doing so I received a new box saying it was giving me one min to save because machine was shutting down. I was not able to copy it all down but here is the key info:

System shutting down on........NT/ATHORITY

Windows\System32\services.exe'
status........1073741819.....

When it rebooted I reboot in safe mode to attempt a suggestion from Microsoft : http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...ct+windowsxpsp2
"Windows desktop does not appear correctly..."

Upon trying to run CMD the machine rebooted.

Going to ponder this somemore....welcome any all suggestions...
"When you're chewing on life's gristle
Don't grumble, give a whistle
And this'll help things turn out for the best...
And...always look on the bright side of life...
Always look on the light side of life."

Monty Python's Life of Brian

#4 wepucci

wepucci

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 PM

Posted 31 May 2011 - 08:09 PM

Im new to the forum but benefitted greatly in cleaning up the "services.exe - application error" problem based on input from this site and a little trial and error. I thought I would share my success here. First and foremost, you can (and should) ignore the very first window that pops up when you reboot your computer (the one that says services.exe - application error - etc). It leads you to belive that your only options are to click "ok" or "cancel". In reality, you can simply move the window off to the side of the screen and logon normally. At least I could do that - perhaps if you've had the problem longer it has wreaked more havoc with your system than it did with mine.

Once I was up and running, I downloaded TDDSkiller from the Kapersky website:

http://support.kaspersky.com/faq/?qid=208283363

I unzipped the file to a random directory, renamed the tddskiller.exe file to "random.exe". Ran the program, and when it scanned it found and removed (i.e. "cured") the rootkit.

I think the biggest thing that helped me was once I realized that I had another option other than clicking "ok" or "cancel" on the very first popup window. This was key for me along with renaming the tddskiller.ext file before running it (and running it from a location other than the desktop). The rootkit program was smart enough to recognize the tddskiller.exe filename and (presumably) prevented it from running properly.

Hope this helps someone.

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 PM

Posted 31 May 2011 - 08:51 PM

Hello, another item is are you now running 2 AV's (Avast and Norton) One will have to go as they will conflicy and give false readings.
Also uninstall that Registry cleaner ... it will do more harm then good.

Do run TDSS killer as recommended above and post that log.
A log file named TDSSKiller_version_date_time_log.txt (i.e. TDSSKiller.2.4.0.0_27.07.2010_09.o7.26_log.txt) will be created and saved to the root directory (usually Local Disk C:).
Copy and paste the contents of that file in your next reply

Follow that by Next running MBAM (MalwareBytes):

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.
Download Link 1
Download Link 2MBAM may "make changes to your registry" as part of its disinfection routine. If using other security programs that detect registry changes (ie Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere or alert you. Temporarily disable such programs or permit them to allow the changes.
  • Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
    For instructions with screenshots, please refer to the How to use Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Guide.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.
  • If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button to close that box and continue.
  • If you encounter any problems while downloading the definition updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
On the Scanner tab:
  • Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
  • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
Back at the main Scanner screen:
  • Click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply. Be sure to post the complete log to include the top portion which shows MBAM's database version and your operating system.
  • Exit MBAM when done.
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be asked to reboot your computer so MBAM can proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.

Troubleshoot Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users