Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Browser Redirects--can't Install Spybot Search And Destroy

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 aleafer

aleafer

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 AM

Posted 08 March 2008 - 06:31 PM

Somewhat new to Windows XP and having some browser redirect issues.

Running mcafee and ad aware (which finds stuff to remove but it keeps coming right back)

I was trying to follow the steps to posting a Hijack this log, but am stuck trying to install and run Spybot search and destroy. I downloaded the program but it quits out after about 5 seconds whenever I try to install it. Not sure how to proceed from here.

thanks for any suggestions.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,849 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 AM

Posted 08 March 2008 - 11:33 PM

Hello aleafer and welcome to BC :flowers:

Let's see if you can be disinfected without recourse to HiJack This. The HiJack This forum is extremely busy right now. If we determine that you need to post there after all, we will provide you with directions at that time.

In order to assist you, we need additional information.

What "stuff" has McAfee and AdAware been finding? Please provide full file paths. An example of a file path is this: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\bits\qmgr.dll in which qmgr.dll is the file, bits is the folder it's in, SYSTEM32 is the folder the bits folder is in, WINDOWS is the folder SYSTEM32 is in, and C is the drive it's on.

Do you have XP Home or Pro versions? Do you have SP1 or SP2 installed?

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 aleafer

aleafer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 AM

Posted 09 March 2008 - 06:27 PM

Hey, thanks for responding.

I changed a setting on Ad-Aware scan and it picked up something it didn't clean before and I think (crosses fingers) that the problem has been fixed, as I tried a couple searches and didn't have any issues. Running full scan seem to be a better idea than Smart scan for Ad-Aware.

#4 Starbuck

Starbuck

'r Brudiwr

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 AM

Posted 09 March 2008 - 06:39 PM

Running full scan seem to be a better idea than Smart scan for Ad-Aware.

Full Scan is always.... the way to go
Even better if you run it in Safe Mode!
Thanks for the follow up information aleafer :thumbsup:

BBPP6nz.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users