Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Show Which Os User Is Using Underneath Member Number

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14 replies to this topic

#1 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 AM

Posted 08 March 2008 - 04:59 PM

Hi everyone,

I was just thinking about this last night and then it came to me. When in forums besides the OS ones, (I am talking about when in forums like Internal Hardware etc.) sometimes users who are posting a new topic forget to put which OS they are using. If we had which OS we use underneath our Member number in the left side of the posts (Where it has the Avatars and Post count etc. This problem can be solved.

Regards,
David.

Edited by david28, 08 March 2008 - 05:25 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 PM

Posted 08 March 2008 - 07:29 PM

Or if they would put it in their sig, as this tutorial suggests:
How To Add A Useful Signature To Your Posts

Or, if they would fill in the information, in their Profile, ................
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Teenage.Zombiee

Teenage.Zombiee

• Members
  • 831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 AM

Posted 08 March 2008 - 08:39 PM

I think it should be an essential when users are filling in their sign up form they have to specify what operating system they're using. Because a vast majority of people here do not fill out their profiles :thumbsup:

Teenage.Zombiee is back ! :halloween:

#4 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2008 - 08:40 PM

Well if it said which OS we have underneath our member numebr and avatar etc. It will save us asking them or going to their profile for it.

I am fairly sure that it is possible to do this because I hjave seen it on other forums. Atribune for example.

Regards,
David.

#5 Teenage.Zombiee

Teenage.Zombiee

• Members
  • 831 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2008 - 09:31 PM

I've seen it at Geeks To Go

#6 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2008 - 09:39 PM

Yes I think it will be a great idea, but it is up to the Admin.

Regards,
David.

#7 Teenage.Zombiee

Teenage.Zombiee

• Members
  • 831 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2008 - 10:09 PM

Very true

#8 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:08:47 PM

Posted 08 March 2008 - 10:14 PM

IMO - Systems information belongs in the profile which is why that section is there;
Not in the signature or in side board information.

What is done at other forums is up to them.
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#9 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2008 - 10:24 PM

Yes of course.

Regards,
David.

#10 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,395 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 PM

Posted 09 March 2008 - 08:32 AM

It's in the profile and used to display. We do not display it anymore as it stretches the posts too much and causes way too much blank space.

#11 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 AM

Posted 09 March 2008 - 12:10 PM

surely when starting any thread, it is 'common courtesy' to state ON that thread the OS, antivirus and other protection so that helpers know which OS IS under discussion and what protection programs have already been used or maybe involved?
I notice many requests for help on here omit that vital information; however, maybe some members do not consider knowing such basic information to BE that vital and helpful before they start to offer help(in which case I wonder why?)

on another forum I frequent, it is one of the first questions ANY member asks if that detail is not given

as each OS differs in it behaviour, compatibility etc, how CAN you start to give helpful guidance ON a problem until you know which OS IS involved and other basic programs? you could easily suggest a tool that is actually incompatible WITH other tools on board and even the OS itself, thus creating yet more problems :thumbsup:

#12 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 PM

Posted 09 March 2008 - 01:14 PM

surely when starting any thread, it is 'common courtesy' to state ON that thread the OS, antivirus and other protection so that helpers know which OS IS under discussion and what protection programs have already been used or maybe involved?
I notice many requests for help on here omit that vital information; however, maybe some members do not consider knowing such basic information to BE that vital and helpful before they start to offer help(in which case I wonder why?)

Perhaps they're new, to the use of forums.
We've got to remember, not everyone has years of experience in how to use forums, and what information is necessary, to properly help them.
That's what we're here for, to help guide them.
As they become more familiar with the way a forum works, and what information they should supply, these mistakes will become less frequent, so not only do they get the information on how to solve their problems, they also learn how to properly ask for that information.

Bleeping Computer is geared to the novice user, so mistakes on their part, are to be expected.
If we need more information than what they supplied, we ask for it.

Patience, is the key. :thumbsup:
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#13 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2008 - 04:57 PM

That is completely right. It is mainly new members that don't put which OS etc.
:thumbsup:
Regards,
David.

#14 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,719 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 PM

Posted 09 March 2008 - 05:36 PM

I've known some members that didn't know what their OS was or how to find out. One of the things we do here is to help the novice learn how to find that information if they don't know.

There are some forums where OS information is not needed such as Forum Games, Chat, and the Speak Easy.

Some members have more than one computer and each has a different OS, and some members have different OS's installed on the same machine. Imagine the confusion if, for example, the display said the member was using Windows XP but was discussing a computer with Linux.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#15 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 PM

Posted 09 March 2008 - 06:21 PM

Bleeping Computer is a self-education tool for the novice user to learn basic concepts about Computer Technology. Our focus is to allow the novice computer user to be able to have a place that they can come and discuss computer/technology problems with their peers and at the same time have a rich resource in which to learn the "basics" about computers and technology.

Taken from the about us.

I think this topic has beeen completely covered now, and is closed.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users