Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A Disk Read Error Occurred

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 flipeng

flipeng

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 PM

Posted 08 March 2008 - 04:50 PM

Hello,

I desperately need help! My laptop (Compaq Presario) got infected with some sort of virus earlier this week. It was giving me slow to no internet connection and I was not able to run some programs, constantly kept freezing. I used Ad-aware and Trojan32 virus kept coming up. I was able to download Bit Defender but I am having a hard time running a scan, it freezes up on me! Today I tried to run it thru safe mode, when I hit the F8 key it took me to a black screen and on the upper left hand corner it states:

A disk read error occurred
Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart

When I press Ctrl+Alt+Del, it goes to the Compaq screen then back to the disk read error screen!

I tried unplugging it, removing the battery, and waiting a few minutes but it still keeps reverting to the same thing!

Please help!!!
:thumbsup:

Additional information that could shed light on the issue posted here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/135308/your-system-could-become-unstable/ ~ Orange Blossom

Edited by Orange Blossom, 09 March 2008 - 12:19 AM.
add link to other thread

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 PM

Posted 15 March 2008 - 09:23 PM

It's most likely that this infection has caused severe damage to the ability of your system to boot. Without being able to remove the malware (in Windows), there's not much that can be done unless one of the helpers has experience removing virus infections outside of Windows. I would suggest slaving your hard drive to another computer (that has up to date antivirus protection) and copying your essential data off of it.

After that, if you're still interested in cleaning off the malware, I'd suggest something like the tools available in the Ultimate Boot CD (available for free here: http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

Otherwise I'd bite the bullet, pull out the Compaq restore CD's and try a system restore. Also, at some point, you'd be wise to also run a bootable diagnostic on your hard drive (available from the hard drive manufacturer's website) - just to be sure this isn't a hard drive failure.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users