Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Open Office.org V Microsoft Office Question?.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 PM

Posted 08 March 2008 - 03:28 PM

Installed on my PC I have an old copy of Microsoft Office 2000. I use Word for my documents and made a spreadsheet on Excel for a game I play, other than that I have I have no knowledge of using the other features of this suite such as Access, Outlook or Powerpoint.

While downloading the latest Java update I noticed an ad for a freeware program called OpenOffice.org and after Googling it found that as far as I can see it is the same sort of thing as the Office 2000 suite only newer and probably more modern.

My question is, would the Open Office.org program be better than my outdated Office 2000 Suite and would I still be able to read my word documents etc using this program or would I have to keep Office 2000 as well.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice offered.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,722 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 AM

Posted 08 March 2008 - 04:03 PM

Hello bluesjunior,

Yes, you will be able to open your word documents with OpenOffice. I use OpenOffice myself. You may wish to read through the following thread. While the initial post doesn't mention OpenOffice, the rest of the thread is entirely about OpenOffice. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/58782/anyone-tried-the-ms-office-2006/ The thread also contains a link to the Open Office site.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 bluesjunior

bluesjunior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2008 - 04:17 PM

Thanks for the reply and the link Orange Blossom. Answered my questions and more. I am now going to install it and uninstall the old one.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,722 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2008 - 10:33 PM

You're welcome bluesjunior. Enjoy experimenting with it. :thumbsup:

Orange Blossom :flowers:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#5 rongchaua

rongchaua

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2008 - 05:29 AM

I'm now really scared of Open Office. I have used it to open some of my documentation from Word. After editing, saving,... and I can not open the documentation any more. :thumbsup:.

Posted Image

#6 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2008 - 10:06 AM

When you saved the edited, original Word document using OO.o, what file type did you "save it as"? You may have saved it as an OO.o file (.odt).
I am unsure what you mean by being unable to open the file: do you get any error messages?
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#7 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2008 - 12:15 PM

kinda 'bookmarking' as I have yet to toy with Open Office on MY weee joy of my win 98se and XP systems :thumbsup:

#8 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2008 - 12:30 PM

The "outdated" Office 2000 suite isn't that outdated. Totally compatible with 2003 which I don't consider outdated at all :flowers:

Openoffice is very nice considering it's free and very compatible with M$ office (2000, 2003) in both directtions. It's beautifully done in that respect.
It is not, in my judgement, better than Office 2000 or 2003. Not by any stretch of the imagination.
Scrolling up and down a spreadsheet with several thousands of rows and about 50 columns is a visual nightmare. They forgot to handle "screen updating" property correctly. The whole thing is jumpy. For tiny spreadsheets is ok.

This is a showstopper for me: If you have/will have to transfer any documents or spreadsheets that contain customized toolbars, macros, or Visual Basic for Applications code, OO can't handle them at all. They plan to, that's the best news, but not even close to reality.

Sorry to spoil the party :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users