Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Acer Hotkey Directs To Bluescreen

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Sabian

Sabian

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 PM

Posted 08 March 2008 - 02:31 PM

Alright, I'm clearly new to these forums and I've just spent a lot of time looking for the problem I have so I finally decided to just ask. To the point!

I have an acer computer as stated and my keyboard has a hotkey that has scroll lock and the eConsole button all in one.
If I press this button in a game nothing will happen and I will just get the Scroll Lock button light to appear as it normally would.

This is when I have trouble.

Now, if I am on my desktop just on a messenger or browsing this site for help and happen to press the eConsole/Scroll Lock hotkey I will be instantly directed to a blue screen with a lot of text that I don't understand for approximately 2seconds, then my computer will reboot. Once it is back to the desktop after the reboot I will get a message saying that the system has recovered from a serious error. Send error report, blah blah blah, when I close the error report everything is back to normal and completely fine.

Anyone have any clue how to fix this annoying issue? If you need more info. please ask!

Thanks, Sabian

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2008 - 04:19 PM

Not real familiar with Acer. Did you install eConsole or did it come pre-installed? Can you assign it another hotkey? Do you use eConsole?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Sabian

Sabian
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2008 - 04:27 PM

Not real familiar with Acer. Did you install eConsole or did it come pre-installed? Can you assign it another hotkey? Do you use eConsole?

Ok thanks for the reply, eConsole was preinstalled. I can assign another hotkey for it and I do not use eConsole.

I should add now that you helped remind me that one of the hotkeys in the game was scroll lock so I went and changed the eConsole's hotkey to none by going to its shortcut and then removing the scroll lock button from its hotkey line. I do not see why a hotkey being disabled this way would cause that kind of reboot though.

#4 Sabian

Sabian
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2008 - 09:30 AM

bump.. I need this figured out so I don't end up writting some important paper up and have it all deleted because I accidentally hit the button.

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2008 - 11:27 AM

If you don't use eConsole, why not just uninstall it?
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#6 Sabian

Sabian
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2008 - 11:52 AM

Do you think that uninstalling eConsole would actually fix my situation though?

#7 Sabian

Sabian
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2008 - 11:06 AM

bump..hmmm? :thumbsup:

#8 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2008 - 11:48 AM

Do you think that uninstalling eConsole would actually fix my situation though?

It's worth a try. You can always reinstall it
Mark
Posted Image

#9 Sabian

Sabian
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2008 - 11:54 AM

Ok I just uninstalled it. Then I hit the button and the same thing happened.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,853 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 PM

Posted 13 March 2008 - 12:45 PM

Did you reboot after uninstalling?

Louis

#11 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,074 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 PM

Posted 13 March 2008 - 06:47 PM

Two things to try:
1) Search your hard drive for files ending in .dmp. Find the one that was written around the time of the last crash and use this link to perform an analysis on it: http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35246
Copy and paste the results into your next post for us to have a look at.

2) Borrow another keyboard and try the scroll lock on that one to see if it does it. If it doesn't crash, then I'd suspect a problem with the keyboard.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#12 Sabian

Sabian
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2008 - 10:58 PM

Here is what I believe I should copy and paste for you to see! Hope it helps.

Debugging Details:
------------------

WRITE_ADDRESS: 00000004

CURRENT_IRQL: 1c

FAULTING_IP:
nt!KiActivateWaiterQueue+27
804fc8ad 897004 mov dword ptr [eax+4],esi

CUSTOMER_CRASH_COUNT: 1

DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID: DRIVER_FAULT

BUGCHECK_STR: 0xA

PROCESS_NAME: System

LAST_CONTROL_TRANSFER: from 804faef8 to 804fc8ad

STACK_TEXT:
f79a1cec 804faef8 e31c94b8 00000000 8334f0e8 nt!KiActivateWaiterQueue+0x27
f79a1d14 f725792d 00000000 00000000 00000000 nt!KeWaitForSingleObject+0x19a
WARNING: Stack unwind information not available. Following frames may be wrong.
f79a1d68 80575963 e39955a8 83298a78 8056375c UBHelper+0x192d
f79a1d7c 805379bd 83372130 00000000 833c7da8 nt!IopProcessWorkItem+0x13
f79a1dac 805ce84c 83372130 00000000 00000000 nt!ExpWorkerThread+0xef
f79a1ddc 8054532e 805378ce 00000001 00000000 nt!PspSystemThreadStartup+0x34
00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 nt!KiThreadStartup+0x16

STACK_COMMAND: kb

FOLLOWUP_IP:
UBHelper+192d
f725792d ?? ???

SYMBOL_STACK_INDEX: 2

SYMBOL_NAME: UBHelper+192d

FOLLOWUP_NAME: MachineOwner

MODULE_NAME: UBHelper

IMAGE_NAME: UBHelper.SYS

DEBUG_FLR_IMAGE_TIMESTAMP: 41c2a029

FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: 0xA_W_UBHelper+192d

BUCKET_ID: 0xA_W_UBHelper+192d

Followup: MachineOwner
---------

#13 usasma

usasma

• 25,074 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2008 - 04:07 PM

This seems to point ( UBHelper.SYS ) to the NTI CD & DVD-Maker utility (I think that Acer uses this as a part of their backup system also). I'd suggest uninstalling it to see if it stops the problem .
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#14 Sabian

Sabian
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2008 - 09:26 PM

This seems to point ( UBHelper.SYS ) to the NTI CD & DVD-Maker utility (I think that Acer uses this as a part of their backup system also). I'd suggest uninstalling it to see if it stops the problem .

So just so I know I am thinking straight tonight I am uninstalling, NTI CD & DVD-Maker Utility, right??

#15 usasma

usasma

• 25,074 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2008 - 06:21 AM

Yes, that's what that file belongs to. So the first step is to get rid of it to see if it fixes the error.

Just FYI - sometimes it's another program that will cause the "suspect" file to break, so this isn't a cure until you try it and it works! :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users