Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista And Printer Sharing

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 tpm

tpm

• Members
  • 355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 AM

Posted 08 March 2008 - 01:58 PM

Hello
I have a computer running Vista with a printer connected via usb. I also have a couple of other computers on a network running WinXp that cannot see the printer. What am I doing wrong?? Have tried everything
Thanks
Tom

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baric

Baric

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 AM

Posted 08 March 2008 - 04:54 PM

Did you share the printer on the Vista system?

#3 tpm

tpm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 355 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2008 - 05:59 PM

Yes. I have printer sharing enabled on the Vista computer
Tom

#4 Baric

Baric

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2008 - 06:11 PM

On the Vista system, what does "net share" say? Using a firewall on this system? If so, have you configured it to allow connections from computers on your local network?

#5 tpm

tpm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 355 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2008 - 06:56 AM

On the Vista system, what does "net share" say? Using a firewall on this system? If so, have you configured it to allow connections from computers on your local network?

I believe my configurations are correct however someone mentioned I may have to set a password for the Xp computer to allow Vista to see it. I'll give that a try today

Thanks
Tom

#6 Baric

Baric

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2008 - 01:03 PM

I believe my configurations are correct however someone mentioned I may have to set a password for the Xp computer to allow Vista to see it. I'll give that a try today

That shouldn't be necessary. It certainly isn't when sharing a printer on XP, and I can't think of a good reason it would be different on Vista. However. you should verify the workgroup name is the same on both systems (in fact on all systems on your network).

#7 tpm

tpm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 355 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2008 - 01:06 PM

That shouldn't be necessary. It certainly isn't when sharing a printer on XP, and I can't think of a good reason it would be different on Vista. However. you should verify the workgroup name is the same on both systems (in fact on all systems on your network).

All workgroup names are the same. I will be giving the Xp computer a password shortly and get back to you
Tom

#8 tpm

tpm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 355 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2008 - 01:34 PM

OK I gave the Xp computer a password, rebooted both machines and sadly no change :thumbsup:
Tom

#9 Baric

Baric

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2008 - 03:19 PM

I'd like to see the output of the "net share" command on the Vista system. That will tell us if the printer is actually shared, according to Vista.

#10 tpm

tpm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 355 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2008 - 04:48 PM

I'd like to see the output of the "net share" command on the Vista system. That will tell us if the printer is actually shared, according to Vista.

How do I access the net share? When doing a search I think it comes up as a exe file which runs and disappears quickly when I click on it :thumbsup:
Tom

#11 tpm

tpm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 355 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2008 - 05:11 PM

http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/18648

Found this link and it did the trick. I am now able to print from the other computer. I had to go into program files and "Share" the Kodak folder itself. Not just click "Share" under the printers in control panel. Hope this makes sense.

Thanks for the help anyway
Tom

#12 Baric

Baric

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2008 - 06:17 PM

Glad you got it going. For future reference, "net share" (and any other command in Vista or XP) is run from a Command Prompt. Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> Command Prompt. then just type the command in and paste the results.

As for why sharing the Kodak folder works, I suspect this has something to do with the XP system trying to get the printer driver from Vista system because it did not have a matching driver already available.

#13 tpm

tpm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 355 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2008 - 07:14 PM

That must be it because a driver was installed to complete the SHARING
Tom

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users