Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista Business Complete Pc Recovery Woes

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 richmondbeach

richmondbeach

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 AM

Posted 08 March 2008 - 12:32 PM

Hello,
I have vista business edition on a lenovo T61. I recently wiped out my factory recovery partition after making my recovery disks because I wanted to be able to use all the disk space, add a partition and freshly install vista without all the extra manufacturer stuff. All went well, I have a fresh install with all my programs, etc. and boot times and performance are great and I'm happy so I make my disk images with the vista complete pc restore function to be able to restore to this state next time. The main reason I got business edition was for the ability to create an exact image of the disk for easy cleaning/reinstalling in the future without having to reinstall all software, etc. when needed. This feature is not available in the home additions.

Now the problem - I want to test the restore function and am having great difficulty. The instructions on this forum (http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/windows-vista-complete-pc-restore/) say I need a vista DVD or to be able to boot into my hidden partition. I seemingly can't restore because I have no way of accessing the "Windows Recovery Environment." My computer did not come with a Vista DVD, only a upgrade anytime DVD, and I wiped out my hidden partition. I tried to use the upgrade anytime DVD anyway and it doesn't have an option for the Windows Recovery Environment and so I tried my recovery disks (that I believe are an exact image of my hidden recovery partition) and they only alow me to go back to the factory installed state with Lenovo's rescue and recovery, which I have no interest in.

Does anyone know if there is a way to use the vista business complete pc restore function in the absence of a dvd and a hidden partition? or am I now going to be forced to do a full fresh install whenever I need or to buy a third party software like norton's ghost or the like?

thanks a lot for the help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 AM

Posted 08 March 2008 - 04:48 PM

I'm not sure if I'm following you correctly or not. What happens if you type system restore in the start search box? Do you get a little icon that will take you to choose or create a restore point?

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#3 richmondbeach

richmondbeach
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2008 - 06:19 PM

Hi, thanks for the reply.

Yes, I can get into system restore just fine and I can make normal restore points. In vista business and ultimate you can also do a "Complete PC Backup and Restore" that make a compete disk image for disaster recovery.

System restore is just for files and settings but the image created in complete pc backup can be used to restore operating system, programs, files, and settings on a fully reformatted (i.e. blank) or even an entirely different hard disk if your hard drive crashes. I am able to make the complete pc backup recovery disk just fine but I seemingly won't be able to use it now. It can only restore your disk from the "Windows Recovery Environment" and I have no way to to get to this environment because Lenovo did not give me a vista DVD and their recovery disks only allow me to restore to factory conditions with all the extra fluff and trial software packages, etc.

I thought that I could use the "Vista Anytime Upgrade" disk to reach the Windows Recovery Environment since I was able to use it to reinstall the entire OS but it does not give this option when you boot from it.

Thanks for any suggestions.

#4 richmondbeach

richmondbeach
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2008 - 06:49 PM

I should say that I don't need to restore now - I am just planning for the future when it will be necessary to restore and I like the state my computer is in now as a good starting point so hopefully I will be able to get right back to here without starting from scratch. I tend to install and uninstall programs pretty frequently and enough of this really bogs down the computer with stray registry entries, etc after awhile so I usually freshly install everything from scratch 2-3 times a year. I thought that this full pc recovery feature of the business edition would make it a snap to get back to a state I like.

Perhaps it will be possible to reinstall the full operating system from the anytime upgrade disk and then go straight to the "backup and restore center" to "restore the entire computer" with the "windows complete pc backup" disks I just created? That would be a pretty long extra step to have to install the operating system first but still a lot quicker than then having to install all the drivers, utilities, and software to get back to where I am now. Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

#5 fox009

fox009

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 AM

Posted 14 March 2008 - 09:16 PM

hi, i have a vista business and would like to delete the partition to gain more space, now i would like to find out if i can do a complete system backup and restore from the external hard drive. can someone help?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users