Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Motherboard Fault.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sparkyuiop

sparkyuiop

• Banned
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 AM

Posted 08 March 2008 - 11:22 AM

Hi all. I got an ACER T180-GB7Z P.C with a Foxconn MCP61SM-AM, REV:1.0A motherboard. The computer will boot into Bios and you can use it as normal for a varied amount of time before the video goes off and the CPU fan stops spinning. The power supply however is still running and the heatsink overheats. This is also the case when booting windows.
I have tested the ram, 2 x 512MB DDR2 667 and it is fine. I have also tried one stick at a time in different slots.
I have tested the PSU, fine.
I cant test the CPU as I do not have another, it is an AMD Athlon 64 x 2 (AM2 I think) - ADA4200IAA5CU NDB4F 0638XPMW T071172I60256.
I have cleaned the heat sink and CPU and re-applied thermal paste. Done it many times and positive thats ok.
The battery is OK.
The motherboard only has 1 stick of ram when testing, the PSU, USB mouse, PS2 keyboard connected. It is also out of its case.
If I reset the cmos, sometime it will boot again in the same way, sometimes not.
If I try to turn it off at the power pins the CPU fan often goes full throttle.
One odd thing though, when the video goes off and the CPU fan stops, if you move the fan back a bit it moves forward a bit like theres still power there then stops. I tried changing the fan, same bleep!
Any help as always greatly welcomed, including intellegent guesses.

Phill.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,818 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 PM

Posted 08 March 2008 - 12:08 PM

Try a different board (temporarily) with same hardware...that's the only way I know to pin it down.

Louis

#3 sparkyuiop

sparkyuiop
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 AM

Posted 08 March 2008 - 12:17 PM

Louis, thanks, that would be the ideal thing but I don't have one or another CPU. All I really wanted from this post was what was more likely to be at fault as I don't want to buy something that I don't need. Oh well better get the credit card out!

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,818 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 PM

Posted 08 March 2008 - 12:56 PM

Well...I would not act solely on my opinions :flowers: and I make them :thumbsup:.

For me, considering that a MB is bad is tantamount to considering a new system...something I seldom do. Act slowly.

Louis

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 PM

Posted 08 March 2008 - 04:46 PM

The only way to rule out the PS as the problem is to use a voltmeter and check all the voltage rails to make sure they're correct
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users