Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Free Space On Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 duroche

duroche

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 PM

Posted 08 March 2008 - 10:52 AM

My computer is not running as fast as I'd like it to...

I have 32 gb of used space and 6 gb of unused space...

I have 768 mb of ram...

please, need some advice as to how I can help my computer perform better...

there are a lot of programs on my add/remove programs list... but I don't know what programs I can delete to free up space...

thanks,

DuRoche

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,912 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 PM

Posted 08 March 2008 - 12:19 PM

First off we need to know the operating system (2000,XP etc,,)in order to proceed. thanks
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 duroche

duroche
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 PM

Posted 08 March 2008 - 12:29 PM

Windows XP - 2002

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 PM

Posted 08 March 2008 - 01:04 PM

It may be that you can free up additional disk space by archiving any old (and probably unneeded) documents, pictures, and zip files (from downloads) that installed from but forgot to delete.
I also assume you have used the disk cleanup utility provided by XP (Accessories/ System Tools/Disk Cleanup): in addition to the usual items on the first tab, you might consider under "More Options"removing all but the latest System Restore Point. This assumes you have System Restore turned on, and have not made any significant changes to your computer's configuration that might require using more than the last point.
Lastly the applications you choose to uninstall should be those (surprise) that you never use. Adobe Acrobat Reader, for example, if you never surf the net or need to view /download long documents. If you do not spend time communicating with your on-line friends, you might consider keeping only one Instant Messenger.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users