Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot To An Iso Of Winxp On The Active Partition?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 markkal123

markkal123

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 AM

Posted 08 March 2008 - 09:38 AM

i am retiring my laptop and wanting to set it up for my daughter to use at home. i formatted the hard drive and attempted a reinstall winxp. however i now, for some unexplained reason, can't boot to the cd/dvd player. i haven't used this laptop for many months and don't know if the dvd/cd rom drive died prior to my tinkering or if something happened when i reformatted the hard drive.

additionally, the bios does not have settings for a usb boot. there is no floppy drive.

short of buying a new cd/dvd player, i thought that i might attempt to yank the hard drive and put it into another laptop; create two partitions; copy the winxp installation files to the active partition and then hopefully boot to that partion and install winxp on the second partition.

can something like this work? is that all too convoluted? is there a better alternative?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,545 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2008 - 10:36 AM

Well...did you try anything other than booting with a CD...to see if the drive functions?

Before I write off things, I like to check them for all the functions they are allegedly capable of.

As for the BIOS and it's capabilities now...have you bothered to check and see if updates are available? One of the normal reasons for such is to provide more current capabilities to older systems.

Louis

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 AM

Posted 08 March 2008 - 10:41 AM

You will need to make the CD-ROM the first device in the boot order in the BIOS to boot from the CD.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 speedytimzalez

speedytimzalez

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2008 - 10:49 AM

how old is this laptop? Does it have an A: drive? It's very possible you may need to reinstall cd rom drivers

#5 markkal123

markkal123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2008 - 11:21 AM

thanks for your speedy responses.

i suppose i should have started with what i did to troubleshoot.

first i don't think i used the cd/dvd drive for several months prior to retiring this laptop. now whenever i put any cd/dvd in the drive and attempt to boot from it, the drive just spins until i get a failure notice.

the drive is recognized in the bios. the bios is the most recent version. i updated it while i still operated the laptop for my own use.

the laptop is a toshiba satellite 1115-S10s. purchased it in 2002. a legacy machine. i have all of the latest drivers.

the laptop does not have an a drive. the bios does not have the capability to usb boot. the cd/dvd drive is prioritized to boot first.

since i don't even have an operational operating system currently on the machine and no typical operational boot device available, i thought i might start playing with booting the system from the c drive as i mentioned in my first post. this does require opening up the laptop to access the hard drive, which as you all know isn't quite as easy as taking off the side panel on a desktop pc.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,545 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2008 - 12:03 PM

Bottom line: You have a laptop which has been gathering dust and there is no O/S installed, so you have no way of finding out whether the drive works properly or not (other than what doesn't happen when you attempt to use a boot CD). You don't know if anything else works properly.

And the laptop has no floppy, nor is USB boot capability inherent in the BIOS.

Is there a valid XP license for this system?

I get nothing from Google on that model number you gave us, please check.

Louis

#7 markkal123

markkal123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2008 - 12:11 PM

yes your bottom line is correct.

yes everything including the xp license is valid for this system.

the system has no floppy/ A drive.

the bios does not have usb boot option.

ooops the model is toshiba satellite 1115-S103.

thanks for all of your imput.

mark

Edited by markkal123, 08 March 2008 - 12:13 PM.

#8 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 AM

Posted 08 March 2008 - 12:22 PM

what exact cd disk won't it boot to?

Have you made and checked another bootable cd?
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#9 markkal123

markkal123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2008 - 01:44 PM

i tried the original winxp pro installation cd, bart's pe and a couple of others with the same results.

btw, i tested all of the aforementioned cds in another machine without any problems.

Edited by markkal123, 08 March 2008 - 01:47 PM.

#10 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2008 - 01:54 PM

laptop optical drives don't hold up very well do they?

sounds like you have tested very well
Chewy

#11 markkal123

markkal123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2008 - 02:08 PM

never had one do this before. but i think you are right. it was a high use laptop. but never really ever used the cd/dvd drive.

so now i am at a loss. really would like to get this working for my daughter. i suppose i might purchase another drive. to replace the drive, it' looking like the entire laptop must be disassembled which isn't a real problem. just a hassle. i'm not even certain if there is a new drive available for this laptop considering its age.

anyway a i suppose there is no way to have the laptop boot to an iso of winxp on an active partition of the hard drive?

#12 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2008 - 02:36 PM

have you tried cleaning the drive?

replacing them is not that hard, considered a user friendly task
Chewy

#13 markkal123

markkal123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2008 - 03:16 PM

how do you clean an optical drive? with windex? just kidding. never did that. might be worth a try. but as i said, i never cleaned one.

on this lap top everything has to be disassembled. not a real prob just not as easy as taking off the side panel like on a pc.

#14 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2008 - 03:41 PM

people use a game cleaning disk usually(one of the premium ones like ps2 or xbox) when I clean my dvd burners i gently blow them out with compressed air, on some models you can actually reach in with a long q tip, never been that lucky

if you do try to replace it make sure to get one that compatible, slimline drives may be configured master or slave by firmware not jumpers
Chewy

#15 markkal123

markkal123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2008 - 03:47 PM

thanks for your help.

have a good today.
mark

0 user(s) are reading this topic