Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The Most Important Guide Of All?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 AM

Posted 08 March 2008 - 09:05 AM

Sooner or later most new users find themselves up a creek without a paddle, they've never bothered to read their manual or help files on doing a system restore, some didn't get restore disks, some lose them or throw them away. On some computers you have to burn your own. Since most factory computer restores wipe the hard drive, all data is lost.

Are you prepared for the "worst case" scenario?
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2008 - 09:09 AM

At work, most customers who have lost data are eager to protect their systems in the future.

But how long will this last? That's the benefit of automated backup solutions - but then who'll check them to make sure they're working?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2008 - 12:01 PM

I will have to commend microsoft for the new feature in vista sp1

create a Windows Vista Recovery Disc
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 PM

Posted 08 March 2008 - 07:04 PM

I'm about as prepared, as I can be.
I use Acronis to image my HDD.
I have one copy on a separate partition, one on a external drive, and 2 burned to disc, one of which is stored at my Dad's house, in another city.
I use Cobian, to backup my personal files to an external drive, every day, then once a week I'll burn the most recent copy, to a disc.
Besides the original installation disc, I have 2 slipstreamed copies, one of which is also stored at my Dad's house.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 08 March 2008 - 07:23 PM

LOL...that's prepared :thumbsup:.

I just do several things:

a. Although I have two systems, I only backup one. One system is used primarily for video-editing and there is nothing on that boot drive which can not easily just be reinstalled. All the files hwich would be edit-fodder are on different, separate hard drives used only for storage.

b. The other system is the daily workhorse and I backup approximately once every two weeks on it. There is no real reason for me to backup more frequently because I can live with losing two weeks of additions which I may have made.

I have the backups maintained again on a hard drive which is distinct from the boot drive and I can access those files individually or en masse anytime I want to. The most crucial items on this system are: Favorites (including a large number of links I use for this and other forums). My email account files are maintained/stored on a different hard drive and all the other things that some generally throw into My Computer...are stored elsewhere.

I use a total of about 9 hard drives with two desktops, with probably 5/6 normally connected to one or the other system.

Oh yeah...I have my various licenses written down and sorted by whatever system it belongs to (I have 9 OEM licenses in my name, some for systems of friends).

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 08 March 2008 - 07:25 PM.

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2008 - 08:49 PM

I asked the last person that had me look at their computer, where were the recovery disks and I get a blank stare. Peoples responses range from "it's in the closet somewhere" to "the dog ate it". I must admit that I procrastinate at backing up. I bought Acronis over a month ago and just installed it today
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2008 - 08:56 PM

At work we tell 'em - if you don't have the recovery disks, call the manufacturer and order them. They're a lot cheaper than buying a copy of XP and then trying to find all the drivers!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users