Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Help With Temp Files Folder

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ratdem

ratdem

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 07 March 2008 - 10:05 PM

There was a trick (not really a trick, but not widely known) in XP that allowed you to save flash animations and FLV format videos (YouTube type videos) that had been cached in your temporary internet files folder. I used this method alot, because I am the kind of guy that likes to keep most of the things that strike me funny or interesting that I come across online.
My problem is that since upgrading to Vista, I can't find the files in my temp folder. The cookies are still there, as are all of the iamges and the other various trash, but the animations and videos are nowhere to be found. Even if I clear the folder off files before I stream the video or load the animation, they aren't there when I open the folder. Can anyone tell me of a method that would let me find these files?
"If ignorance is bliss, then wipe the smile off my face."
Rage Against the Machine

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Visual C++ STL Maintainer

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,301 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 PM

Posted 07 March 2008 - 10:18 PM

Here is the article you need:
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/e...64f23e1033.mspx

Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#3 ratdem

ratdem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2008 - 09:44 PM

Thanks for the link, but that wasn't the problem. I know how to open the temp folder. The problem is that the FLV files and flash animations aren't appearing in the folder with the other temp files. I know that they have to be stored somewhere, but I can't think of another place that Vista would cache them.
Rage Against the Machine

#4 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Visual C++ STL Maintainer

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,301 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 PM

Posted 10 March 2008 - 10:33 PM

Hmmm... that has to do completely with Flash itself then. Im not positive that those items are cached that way anymore in the most recent versions of flash under IE7. They may not be saved on the machine at all in the current relase of flash. But I dont know for sure either way.

Of course, you could use something like http://www.mediaconverter.org/ for youtube. There are also a number of FireFox extentions that will allow you to download Flash items, namely DownThemAll

Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2008 - 06:49 AM

I use the Orbit downloader (free here: http://www.orbitdownloader.com ) - but don't have a lot of experience with it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 ratdem

ratdem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2008 - 09:24 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try them out. It is frustrating that this problem even exists. I can see the small flash files not being cached, but how does Vista not cache something as large as a twenty minute FLV video? Oh well.
Rage Against the Machine

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2008 - 10:04 AM

I suspect that it does cache the video - but am not sure of the exact location (haven't tried to save things this way since I used Windows 98 :huh:
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users