Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What Do You Want In The Next Version Of Windows?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Izzy

Izzy

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 PM

Posted 07 March 2008 - 09:30 PM

Ok, who wants what in the next version of windows?

I'd like a windows to be ready when you turn it on no waiting for boot up.

Maybe do something with the task bar. Its getting boaring being similar every time, only thing with vista is they change the "Start" with a windows flag. Why can't they just remove the task bar and just have the start menu on the left side or something with the main tasks showing. Like what shows in Vista Start Menu.

More preinstalled themes, i mean c'mon Vista Basic, Vista Aero, Windows Classic, not much to choose from is there.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 AM

Posted 07 March 2008 - 11:18 PM

Well I don't think that not having to wait for the PC to boot up is really possible. But hey, you never know, one day it might be possible.

I would want the new Windows to not be a resource hog like Vista.

I also think that they should not work on the new Windows until they have sorted out the problems with Vista. Even now many people are still having problems with Vista and are staying with XP. IF they release the new Windows while many people havent changed to Vista because of all the compatibility issues. Why on earth would anyone change to this new Windows. I think Microsoft needs to reorder there priorities and start focusing on sussing out the problems in Vista before they start work on another OS. Just my 2cents worth. :thumbsup:

Regards,
David.

#3 MattV

MattV

• Members
  • 736 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 07 March 2008 - 11:57 PM

Well I don't think that not having to wait for the PC to boot up is really possible. But hey, you never know, one day it might be possible.

I also think that they should not work on the new Windows until they have sorted out the problems with Vista. Even now many people are still having problems with Vista and are staying with XP. IF they release the new Windows while many people havent changed to Vista because of all the compatibility issues. Why on earth would anyone change to this new Windows. I think Microsoft needs to reorder there priorities and start focusing on sussing out the problems in Vista before they start work on another OS. Just my 2cents worth. :thumbsup:

Regards,
David.

The best thing M$ could do would be to release a trimmed-down Windows. Bigger and more complex is not always better.

Now, I'll admit that I haven't done anything with Vista. Ive heard and read to many negatives concerning the OS to even want to try. Perhaps, several years from now, when they have all of the beta-testing* done and most of the bugs fixed - and I can afford to buy a computer that can run it, I might consider it. In the meantime, I'll stick with XP.

If M$ were to combine the simplicity and functionality of Win98 with the security and communication capabilities of XP, I think they may have a winner. Another thing they should consider is Windows with a re-vamped and fully functional M$ DOS. Not the stripped-down and basically useless shell they supply with Windows today, but full DOS, able to operate independently of - or even without - Windows.

Oh, and leave out all of the demos that you have to remove from the hard drive in order to make room for useful apps.

* M$ really showed some creativity with the problem of beta-testing. They get people to pay them for a defective and unfinished product, and then they rely on complaints from those "customers" to tell them what needs to be fixed. After they've fixed the most urgent problems, they'll release a "service" pack that will fix most of your defective OS. Then they'll fix the rest of the problems and release another "service" pack that will correct those. Saves them a lot of time and money doing in-house beta-testing. And the beta-testers are paying M$ - not the other way around!! This scheme worked like a charm with XP.

Edited by MattV, 08 March 2008 - 12:03 AM.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,074 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2008 - 10:15 AM

Windows 7 may be fundamentally different from Vista and previous operating systems. Some of the reading that I've done suggests that there will be steps taken to reduce the effect of Windows trying to do everything for everyone.

I'd like a more component based installer - with the option to install a slimmed down performance version.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2008 - 01:26 PM

It would ideally be completely recoded from beginning to end, and have an improved file structure.
Oh, and offer people things they actually need.
Oh, and not screw up all the application interfaces as they did with Vista.
Oh, and get rid of all their spying on their customers.
Oh, and price it realistically in the first place, for everyone.
jgweed
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 MattV

MattV

• Members
  • 736 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 08 March 2008 - 01:56 PM

It would ideally be completely recoded from beginning to end, and have an improved file structure.
Oh, and offer people things they actually need.
Oh, and not screw up all the application interfaces as they did with Vista.
Oh, and get rid of all their spying on their customers.
Oh, and price it realistically in the first place, for everyone.
jgweed

In an alternate universe, perhaps...

#7 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2008 - 03:53 PM

Regards,
David.

I do somewhat agree there.

#8 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 AM

Posted 08 March 2008 - 04:43 PM

Sounds like a good idea. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users