Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Keeps Rebooting

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jnkman

jnkman

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 AM

Posted 07 March 2008 - 09:18 PM

HP 550e OS-XP Home- Computer does a continous rebooting when turned on, gets to XP Screen then reboots. Cannot get past this screen. Have tried to start in safe mode using F8, gets to safe mode screen then locks up crtl delete to shut down it restarts and reboots its self continously. When it goes through it's first rebooting after intial start up first time I get no response from the keyboard or mouse after that have to do manual shutdown.

Please help if you can, will provide more computer details if needed.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 PM

Posted 07 March 2008 - 10:51 PM

Might be a faulty motherboard if you are not getting response from the mouse and keyboard and it keeps rebooting.

Wait and see what some of the other members have to say about it.

Regards,
David.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2008 - 09:39 AM

I think I'd try shorting the CMOS jumper (or achieve same effect by removing CMOS battery temporarily).

CMOS Battery. - http://www.geocities.com/micksmix2000/cmosbatt.html

Removing the CMOS Battery,Clear password. - Computer Care Center Tech Forum - http://www.computercare.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=818

Troubleshooting System Instablity, Reboots and Crashes - http://www.pcguide.com/ts/x/sys/crash-c.html

Louis

#4 speedytimzalez

speedytimzalez

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2008 - 10:04 AM

What was the last thing you can think of that you did to the computer before the problem happened?
(installed, removed progams?)

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 AM

Posted 08 March 2008 - 11:07 AM

If you go into the Startup and Recovery section of the System Properties you can uncheck the Automatic Restart and when your computer starts it should stop and show you an error message. Please post the exact message back here.

Start> right click on My Computer> Properties> Startup and Recovery Settings> System Failure

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Beremat

Beremat

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 AM

Posted 08 March 2008 - 03:28 PM

Also, this used to happen to me during overheating of the processor-it shuts itself down in case of dangerous temperatures. What are the temperatures in the BIOS before boot? Mine were 76C (and I'm guessing at around 85C it rebooted).

Edited by Beremat, 08 March 2008 - 03:28 PM.

#7 jnkman

jnkman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2008 - 05:35 PM

I want to thank everyone who has responded. It will take me a few days to do follow ups. I travel for work and CPU is at home.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users