Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Super Duper Light Linux?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Ellypho

Ellypho

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 AM

Posted 07 March 2008 - 09:01 PM

Hello world!

I got this old dell latitude XPI CD from my buddy and im getting pretty annoyed with winedows. So i want to put a linux distro on it. This laptop has a 133MHz processor 32 megs of ram and a 2 gig hard drive, unfortunatly it can only boot from a floppy to intall anything. All i intend on doin is using it as a glorified typewriter and mayber to run DOS games in DOSBOX. But then again i figured i could do this with freeDOS but im afraid of it :S. Anybody got an idea of what i could do?

Thanks in advance
Ellyphooooooooooooooo
CompTIA A+ certified

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 meisinscotland

meisinscotland

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 PM

Posted 16 March 2008 - 06:42 PM

That machine would run DOS beautifully... even though you said you were afraid of it, I don't know what else to suggest.

I would say Puppy Linux - but you'd need a CD drive, and probably a bit more RAM.

#3 OmegamB

OmegamB

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 PM

Posted 16 March 2008 - 08:01 PM

Does it have a free USB drive? If it does you could use a LiveUSB and install Damn Small Linux. It should work fine.

Posted Image

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 AM

Posted 18 March 2008 - 06:33 PM

You could try Damn Small Linux ( http://damnsmalllinux.org/ ). It it, indeed, damn small.

PS
Here's the DSL page on booting from a floppy: http://damnsmalllinux.org/wiki/index.php/Boot_Floppies

PPS
Another one is BasicLinux, http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/baslinux/ . I've never tried it, but it's supposed to be good for old laptops.

Edited by Amazing Andrew, 18 March 2008 - 06:44 PM.

#5 Guest_danbrownlow_*

Guest_danbrownlow_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 21 March 2008 - 07:12 AM

Isn't it a problem that some old computers dont' support booting from USB?

Hmmmm :thumbsup:

#6 Miljet

Miljet

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2008 - 07:57 AM

You can always boot from a floppy as AmazingAndrew has already pointed out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users