Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Xp Home Ed Machine Won't Launch Windows

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 KKRoadie

KKRoadie

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 PM

Posted 07 March 2008 - 09:01 PM

A Dell Dimension 8300 with Windows XP Home Edition locked up a few days ago. I wasn't home but my wife said it gave the following error message...

Windows Delayed Write Failed

Windows was unable to save all the data for the file C:/ffastunT.ffl

The data has been lost

This error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or network connection.

Please try to save this file elsewhere.

I was able to get back into Windows and I initiated a scan disk with repair in case she had a bad sector or two on her hard drive. I then had to reboot. The scan disk reported no problems with the drive. I rebooted again and to date have not been able to get back to the desktop. It stops at either the "Please wait while Windows starts" splash message or the log in screen but either way it freezes up and won't go any further or launch windows.

I have no idea what I am dealing with here, maybe a virus, maybe a corrupt windows file, maybe a hardware failure, or something else.

(I use AVG 7.5 and it is updated often and it runs daily.)

I have no idea what to try next. I've exhausted all the tricks I know.

I have looked for "safe mode" boot but I can't find it on her machine. I went in to F2 setup and F12 boot sequence and I don't see it anywhere (and I'm not confident it would help anyway).

I have a second HD and back-up that machine automatically nightly but I'm not sure if it's set up as a boot drive or storage only (or if it even has a copy of windows) I was trying to protect the data mostly.

Additional info: The C drive probably has 85% available space so that can't be the problem. The PC has been a bit slow lately and I was going to run a Hijackthis log to post but I didn't get around to it. :thumbsup:

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance
Karl the Roadie

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KKRoadie

KKRoadie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2008 - 10:04 PM

UPDATE: I am now in safe mode (yeah yeah yeah F8, It's been so long since I ventured into safemode land I forgot that one)

Anyway I am scanning with AVG 7.5. I'll post what happens.

KK

#3 KKRoadie

KKRoadie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2008 - 07:43 PM

All fixed

Scan was negative, AVG was negative however I removed findfast from the startup menu and it seems to have fixed the problem.

KK

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2008 - 08:24 PM

Nice troubleshooting, happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users