Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 RandomUser

RandomUser

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 AM

Posted 07 March 2008 - 08:39 PM

Haven't posted in a while and thought this would be a good place to start.

A while back I wrote about how great Vista was and the fact that I've had very little issues with it.
I neglected to determine the specifics of why it was working so incredibly great on my machine.
That post was to show everyone here that the OS wasn't so bad after all and to try some different
things to solve common problems. Boy was I wrong!

By doing a bit of research on my Vista machine, I've realized that I've basically reverted to XP for a lot of
money I didn't have to spend. I've turned off many Vista Specific Features and the Search tool. Many of my
programs are running in XP compatable mode and even running a few XP Drivers that would crash If I hadn't
disabled sa few background services. I'll add a list of running services tomorrow just to give an example.

If I had realized that I reverted to XP while making things work I wouldn't have posted about how Great
I thought this OS was. Some of you may want to read the articles here about disabling services, although
doing say incorrectly may cause damage to certain hardware or cause your pc to stop functioning.

None-The-Less I spoke too soon about Vista being on my side and will look towards the next OS from Microsoft.
Hopefully it can only improve over Vista.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 AM

Posted 07 March 2008 - 09:28 PM

What Vista specific features have you had to disable? I have Vista on my laptop, and my workstation, and have not had to disable anything. I have had no problems with it on either machine.

I appreciate that that you are trying to clarify your opinion, but it still isn't really telling us anything. Why did you have to disable the search feature? What software are you having to run in XP mode? I have not had to do that for anything I am running.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users