Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help..dvd Drive Issues

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mjp1531

mjp1531

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 AM

Posted 07 March 2008 - 07:53 PM

Hi all. I am new here and hope to be quite active in these forums. :-) I have an HP m8100n desktop running vista 32 bit. I have really had no problems at all until 2 weeks ago when my dvd drive stopped working. HP was quite apologetic and said they would send another one. In the meantime, I went and purchased a SECOND dvd drive, so that I wasn't without, while I waited for my replacement. The one I bought was an IDE drive (hope I said that right). The one that came with comp (and the replacement) is SATA. The installation went smoothly. Everything hooked right up. Then the replacement came. It also installed easily, BUT....it doesn't work. It opens and closes just fine, but doesn't read anything. When I click on the drive through my computer, it says E: Application Error. I called HP. We uninstalled, and installed. Updated firmware, and restored. But nothing is working. They haven't really been any help since then. They just keep saying it should work.....but it's not. So I ask....can anyone here help me out please? The drive that is not working is an ATAPI dvd a dh16a1l scsi. The one I bought is an HP dvd writer 1040i. That's about all of the information I can think of to give you. Thanks in advance for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ucanfixit

ucanfixit

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 AM

Posted 07 March 2008 - 08:34 PM

What's in the drive you are trying to click on (a movie perhaps?), if so, are your sure you have the proper codecs installed to watch a dvd movie and what software are you using with your new DVD burner?

Edited by ucanfixit, 07 March 2008 - 08:34 PM.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 AM

Posted 08 March 2008 - 10:47 AM

What does the BIOS reflect for drives installed?

Louis

#4 mjp1531

mjp1531
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2008 - 03:24 PM

ok I have tried movies, music and data discs....it is all the same error. I have no clue about BIOS, so I would need you to talk me through all that, and I would be glad to give it to you.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 AM

Posted 09 March 2008 - 04:48 PM

Quick version:): The BIOS contains key settings which determine/insure functioning of the computer.

It provides options for various settings...one of these settings involves the recognition of drives which are attached. Some BIOSes read attached hardware automatically, some have to be manually reset when hardware changes or is added/removed.

When having issues with drives, I start with the BIOS recognition of the drives attached to the system...and verify those before moving on.

Howstuffworks How BIOS Works - http://computer.howstuffworks.com/bios.htm/printable

How to get into your computer's BIOS - http://www.cyberwalker.net/faqs/reinstall-...enter-BIOS.html

You need to verify that the dh16a1l is properly reflected in the BIOS, as Step One. Skip all that for the moment, please.

What are you trying to read (data files, music CD, etc.) when you get this Application Error thing?

The application error message should only appear when another app is brought into play...what files are on the media which you tried to read?

It's not the drive that prompts such message, it's the contents of the drive.

Louis

#6 mjp1531

mjp1531
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2008 - 03:43 PM

ok thanks I will check my BIOS after this. One disc was a move, one was a store bought music cd, one was an itunes burned cd, one was a dvd rip I did myself, and I also tried a couple of program discs like Nero, and my iPod install disk. All of these work in the other drive without fail.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users