Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Frequent Lockups

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 n0data

n0data

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 PM

Posted 07 March 2008 - 06:27 PM

I've been using vista ultimate for awhile, and it seems I'm getting lockups whenever i use the following programs, or do the following things: Windows/Microsoft Update, uTorrent(most frequent, runs for 5 minutes then computer locks up), and CD Burning. These all run for about 5 minutes then a full lockup and it's extremely annoying. I've reinstalled twice and the problem persists. I've tried doing all the things listed above with all processes (but system processes) ended and i still get problems. This is extremely annoying and I really need a fix. I'm considering switching back to XP actually. Anyway, If anyone can help me solve the lockup problem, that would be great.

Thanks,
n0data

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Bartster

Bartster

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2008 - 08:16 PM

Hi nOdata,

Just a thought, do you have windows update kb937287 installed on
your computer? It caused me some similar symptoms.

Does a reboot temporarily get you going again?

Edited by Bartster, 07 March 2008 - 08:25 PM.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2008 - 07:34 AM

Have you checked your Event Viewer for errors around the time of the freezes? If not, go to Start and type in "eventvwr.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter. Click on the Windows Logs and view the entries in the System and Application log files.

Let us know if you find any errors around the time of the lockups (and what they are) and we'll move on from there.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 Baric

Baric

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2008 - 12:39 PM

I had similar intermittent lockups and reboots on my Vista Ultimate system when I first built the machine and they continued for quite awhile. At first I thought it was memory related (bad DIMM), but I couldn't isolate it. Then one day (after lots of frustrating days tweaking everything), the problems stopped. What was the last thing I changed? Upgraded video drivers for my GeForce 8800GTX cards. Nvidia's ForceWare display drivers for Vista have been absolute garbage, in my opinion. But the upgrade to 169.25 seems to have finally reached a stable environment (at least in my setup).

The moral of this story? If you can't pinpoint a specific cause even after checking the system event logs, try upgrading the drivers for your hardware. Do the video drivers and your chipset drivers. Run a full disk check on your hard drive, looking for any errors. Try memtst86 and swapping out memory modules to see if the problem disapears. And finally, look into updating your motherboard BIOS, if there are fix updates available. Just be careful with a BIOS update, done improperly, you can really hose your system...

#5 n0data

n0data
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2008 - 03:30 PM

bartster- I have that update and it's the first update i installed (looked at the log) and it's perfect because before i update when i reinstall it doesen't freeze till after the updates. Problem is, checking add/remove programs and in the installed updates section but i can't seem to uninstall it. How can i get rid of this?

usasma: checked them when it first started happening, showed me nothing.

Baric: My drivers are off a disk not from vista, I'm also overclocking the card, could that be a cause?

Thanks all,
n0data

#6 Baric

Baric

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2008 - 04:30 PM

Baric: My drivers are off a disk not from vista, I'm also overclocking the card, could that be a cause?

Oh yeah, that can do it. There are a number of steps you would normally take to troubleshoot random problems like this.

1. Make changes 1 at a time and retest. Never make multiple changes unless you have to, because if the problem goes away, you still have no idea which change fixed it.
2. Reset any overclocking or voltage changes. Run the hardware at default settings.
3. If you suspect heat is an issue, run with the case cover off.
4. Make sure your OS is up on recommended maintenance. On Windows, this means Windows Update should be run until it shows nothing critical or important. Also apply any Optional driver updates.
5. Drivers on Windows Update tend to lag behind the latest official release since the WHQL process is, well, difficult, and vendors avoid it as long as possible. So see your vendor's websites for more recent drivers.
6. Swap out hardware with known good components if possible.
7. Drink plenty of beer while doing this ;-)

#7 n0data

n0data
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2008 - 06:19 PM

Well I've got my beer :huh:. I've got a BETA copy of SP1 so it's downloading right now. Also, I'm going to reset the overclock on the card, it's gonna be tough because it came with the disk, its a reg file called coolbit.reg, so i'll search the reg and delete it. Heat SHOULDN'T be an issue, the card is fairly hot (60C), and the case all-in-all is running about 22C, so I'm doubting it's heat. Windows update has nothing left to download but the language packs, i download everything i see but languages. I'll check out my vendor site right now because i should update. Can't swap any hardware though, PC is handbuilt so I have nothing spared. It worked fine when i first installed after i built it. Do you think the service pack I'm downloading will do anything? The guy at a computer store told me he's on the BETA program for it and when he installed it fixed a lot of things...also told me lockup's are a normal vista thing. If this pack doesen't work and neither do the drivers...Bye Bye Vista, and Hello XP again, and maybe Linux.

Thanks,
n0data

#8 n0data

n0data
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2008 - 07:19 PM

Just updated my nVidia card. Yeah it needed an update, I don't see a change in anything yet, but i haven't restarted my computer so. I'm also updating my chipset and that's all that's needed. I don't know where to update my sound card drivers, and I can't find atheros driver downloads. The ethernet adapter, though i don't use it, is also being updated. So I think this, plus the service pack, should put her back to normal.

Update: Found drivers for my sound card, went to download lockup...pretty pi**ed. Service pack (1.1GB) was 60% done, now i gotta start over...i HATE firefox BETA. The problem might've been solved now though...I don't know. I'm gonna test it out.

UPDATE 2: Still crashing after the restart..service pack is the last hope so far. Download done approximately: 5H 30M. Shall be a fun wait. If this doesen't work, determined to dual booting linux and XP(x64)

Thanks,
n0data

Edited by n0data, 08 March 2008 - 07:46 PM.

#9 Baric

Baric

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2008 - 08:01 PM

Hmmm, you case is 22C and your video card is running 60C? I would expect the case to be warmer, what's your CPU temp?

As for will the SP fix your problem? That all depends on what the underlying cause is. No way to tell at this time. But the guy you talked to is correct, Vista is prone to crashing because of all the problems caused by the base DDK changes. The SP may have fixed the problems he saw, but will it fix everyone's? Only time will tell.

My system is stable for the moment, so I'm not going to disturb it with the SP til it's officially out and has been for some months. Unless I have to, of course.

#10 n0data

n0data
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2008 - 08:07 PM

I'll copy what HWMonitor says:

Processor is running between 35-37C

Card right now ( i just started the PC) is running 54C

Hard Drive is running 41C

The thing on the front of my case says 82.5F but the thing is just touching the heatsink (i don't have anything to anchor it to the sink with) so it is basically the temperature of my entire case. What's DDK? Firefox is also crashing out ever since updating my chipsets, and it's really starting to annoy me. I swear I'm going to be calling microsoft soon to complain (bet I'll be the first to call with a complaint :huh:)
But this is really weird, and what Bartster said I'm gonna bet its that KB937287 because, as i stated before, when ifirst install the OS, no problems, but once i update, I'm in for a ride.

Thanks,
n0data

#11 Baric

Baric

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2008 - 08:13 PM

DDK = Device Driver Kit. Vista made a lot of changes to the way device drivers work so they had to be re-written, or at lease adapted to work under Vista

#12 n0data

n0data
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2008 - 10:14 PM

Jeez. I hope Windows 7 is an improvement of this. Download's restarted...my dad decided tonight would be a good night to play with the power..i swear i was gonna kill him :huh: . So it'll be done *hopefully* tommorow morning and I'll keep you posted on what's happening.

Thanks,
n0data

#13 n0data

n0data
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2008 - 08:23 AM

Well it froze up last night. I've resorted to downloading on my brothers computer and also mine. It's been running for 2 hours with no freezing so it seems fine. I'm still praying the service pack works.

#14 Bartster

Bartster

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2008 - 12:15 PM

nOdata:

kb937287 cannot be uninstalled, Microsoft in their infinite wisdom
made that impossible. Their only suggestion for fixing this is to
do a system restore to a point prior to Feb. 12th http://windowsvistablog.com/blogs/windowsv...e-kb937287.aspx

I decided instead to do a complete reistall of the OS since I suspected having some other issues.

If you decide to do the latter, after reinstall, windows update will notify you of available updates.
Before you install them, uncheck the box next to 937287 so it won't be installed, then hide it.
I know, as you do reinstalling the OS is a real pain, but doing it and leaving out that update worked
for me!

Good luck!

Regards, Bart

#15 n0data

n0data
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2008 - 12:32 PM

That's gonna be my last resort if the SP doesen't work. Yeah restarted the download again. Decided to do it on brother, he (reluctantly) accepted so it will be done 5PM FOR SURE. I called microsoft today because I had completely had it and i mentioned the KB and they denied everything, explaining it was the programs fault, not the OS. So i just hung up. Anyway reinstallation, second last resort, last resort- XP/Linux.

Thanks,
n0data

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users