Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Boot In Safe Mode

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 grandpaart

grandpaart

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 AM

Posted 07 March 2008 - 06:13 PM

I'm using Windows 2000 PRO. I started to have problems running updates to Internet explorer and AVG and Webroot spysweeper. Everything just hung up after trying to go to a web page or in AVG & spysweeper, when trying to do a sweep. I still have most of the problems but have gotten the updates to AVG and Spysweeper to work.

The real problem at this point is I boot OK undera normal boot but I can't boot in safe mode. The system runs through loading most of the DLL's then hans for about 30 seconds then goes to he blue warning screen and gives me the following message:

STOP 0x0000000A (0xEB91B354, 0x000000FF, 0x00000001, 0x80464119)
then on a new line it printed the following line with the first one or two letters(my ??) not visable I guess due to a screen size error:
??RQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL_OR_EQUAL

Address 80464119 base at 80400000 Date Stamp 45ec3c8f-ntoskrnl.exe

the only way I could find to get out of this warning screen was to cause a restart with the restart button.

The file it hangs in spysweeper duing a sweep in the second memory file which prints as: "C:\WINNT\system32\yaywv.dll__BHODemonDisabled". "__BHODemonDisabledhas been appended to the file since I started repair work with Web Root.

Web Root after much work and referal to some repair suggestions from this forum has backed out unless I can boot in safe mode and make some repairs.

I'm not a newbe but I'm not an oldbe either (Other than being a grandfather of 10) so I sure could use some of this groups vastly superior knowledge.

I kept the problem simple but can supply lots of history and what we tried if needed.

Thanks for being here.

GrandpaArt

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 07 March 2008 - 06:38 PM

I start taping the F8 key as soon as I think the hard drive is starting to boot, if I keep missing it, I then hold in the power button for 4 seconds during the windows load, this is not a good thing but one of safer alternatives

after the computer shuts down I then start it back up, usually windows gives me the choice to go into safe mode

a question tho, was your OS a clean install of W2k w/sp4?

there are real issues with old installs and sp's added on later
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 grandpaart

grandpaart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2008 - 10:21 PM

It was a clean install of 2000 but was updated to SP4 and had security updates along the way. Perhaps I was unclear in my post but I have no trouble getting into the safe mode screen and choosing to boot in one of the safe modes for 2000. The problem is that it does not complete the safe mode boot process

#4 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Visual C++ STL Maintainer

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2008 - 10:30 PM

This article says its probably a hardware problem.

Have you run chkdsk on this system?
Have you memtested this system?

Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#5 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2008 - 11:05 PM

If your hardware checks out you might try a repair disk, however you would need to slipstream sp4 into your w2k cab files.

This was why MS originally developed the slipstream operation, running W2k as a repair disk started rendering the computer unbootable, and if the repair disk does not solve the problem at least you have better clean install option.

I am patiently awaiting SP3 for Windows XP
Chewy

#6 grandpaart

grandpaart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2008 - 12:10 AM

Ok people, first let me thank everyone for the fast replys. I want everyone to know It is fantastic to have this great resource available. Thanks.
To BILLY3 I think the article you referred me to is for XP and I am running 2000 PRO. Does it still apply? I ran chkdsk and it found one minor problem which it said it fixed. This did not change anything.

I do not kno how to do a memtest so I guess the answer to your second question is either no or I don't know.

There does not appear to be a hardware problem but some advice and council on how to confirm this would be appreciated.

To Chewy, remember although I'm not a newbe I'm having problems translating what you advise into the steps necessary to accomplish what needs to be done. For sure I need some help on slipstream.

I guess I know just enough to be dangerous and how to get myself into trouble. But I've many many more years experience on listening and following instructions. If you have been happily married for 40 years like Vicki and I have been you know exactly what I mean.

I want to double check since both of you mention XP remember I'm running windows 2000Pro.

I don't think I had this problem until I ran a windows automatic update. I had always run manual updates previously.
I also did something stupid as I never created a boot disk. I can do one now but won't that replicate the error condition.

What's got me confused is how the system can boot OK in normal but can't do a safe boot.

What do you all think?

#7 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Visual C++ STL Maintainer

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2008 - 12:14 AM

To BILLY3 I think the article you referred me to is for XP and I am running 2000 PRO. Does it still apply?

More or less.

At this point I think we need someone who can read Minidumps.

Can anyone here read those?

Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#8 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2008 - 12:56 AM

http://www.petri.co.il/windows_2000_xp_sp_slipstreaming.htm

when I first slipstreamed xp with sp1 I followed a guide like this and did not think to copy and paste the commands

I printed out 6 pages of directions and it took me 2 hours, I am a bad typist

:thumbsup:

http://www.msfn.org/articles.php?action=sh...;showarticle=49

http://unattended.msfn.org/unattended.xp/

http://www.nliteos.com/guide/

the last one makes it too easy

One word of caution, windows 2000 even with a clean install of sp4 is not safe on the internet unless you have a very good
router with hardware firewall

bottom line: sometimes you have to throw in the towel and quit patching an OS and just try a repair disk and if that doesn't work a clean install
Chewy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users