Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linksys And Vista Problem

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 swtexas70

swtexas70

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 PM

Posted 07 March 2008 - 05:52 PM

I recently got a Linksys WRK54G to wirelessly connect my new laptop. Both the desktop and the laptop are using Vista Home Basic. I have used Linksys download program for analysis. My computer is connected to the internet and functions properly. However, when I connect my att provided modum to the router and then the router to the computer (as directed in the instructions, I receive the message that there is no internet connection, even though the internet light on the router is green.

I have used the CD provided by the company as well. A network was created--I followed all of their instructions (naming the router, administrative password, encryption, etc), and still nothing is working.

No internet when connected to the router--internet when there is a direct connection the original computer.

Thanks in advanced for any kind of help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 speedytimzalez

speedytimzalez

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 PM

Posted 08 March 2008 - 11:04 AM

looks as tho there is a bad setting somewhere. Let me review:
You can connect wireless.
Cannot connect desktop (CPU to router)
Is there an Ethernet light on (1 2 3 or 4)

#3 Baric

Baric

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 PM

Posted 08 March 2008 - 12:02 PM

No internet when connected to the router--internet when there is a direct connection the original computer.

Who's your Internet service provider? Many cable ISP's, like Comcast, only allow one device connected to the cable modem at a time. If you switch the device, like you did when you swapped your computer for the router, the cable modem will not talk to the new device until you power cycle the modem. Have you done this?

The reason you have to do this is the cable company downloads a config file into the modem when it initializes, and part of that config says how big the internal table of attached devices can be. It's usually one unless you pay for extra IP addresses. Once you fill up that this so-called CPE table with your computer's MAC address, the only way to add a new device (like the router) is to wipe the table first with a power cycle or reset. If you're using one of those telephony cable modems for use with digital phone service, use the reset switch in the back of the modem, simply removing the power won't work as these modems have internal batteries.

#4 swtexas70

swtexas70
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 PM

Posted 08 March 2008 - 02:43 PM

As long as the original configuration (from modem to computer) is used, then everything is okay, but no internet on laptop. When the cables are set according to linksys (modem to router, router to PC), I get a signal on the laptop. The provider is the sbcglobal provider with sbc - dsl.

Thanks for you consideration.

#5 Baric

Baric

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 PM

Posted 08 March 2008 - 05:03 PM

By default, your Linksys router comes configured to use "Automatic Configuration - DHCP" as the connection type. But most DSL providers require PPPoE. Go into the router config at http://192.168.1.1 and on the setup tab, provide the connection information that SBC requires for using its DSL network. I've never used SBC, so I'm not sure of the details here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users