Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Power Supply

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Johnz414

Johnz414

• Members
  • 478 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 AM

Posted 07 March 2008 - 05:38 PM

Hi Anyone,

How do you figure out the Wattage supply of your PC.

My current PC is running 2000 MHz for the OS but what does that mean about the power supply Wattage? I would like to know what my current PC's power supply is?

The reason I am asking is because I've been checking out Milwaukee PC for a new PC and what they are trying to sell me their Impact 3052 which has 450 Watt power supply.

I think that is a lot of power, is it?

I am not sure of the relationship between power wattage and the MHz of the OS?

Would anyone please care to explain this to me.

I would like to know the difference between my current PC's power supply and what my new one will be?

Is 450 watts power supply good?

John :thumbsup:

PS I am looking for an Office PC not a Gaming PC.

Their Impact 3052 they say is a good pick for that. It has:

1. 2 GIG RAM
2. 320 GIG HD
3. Intel Cor Dual E 6550
4. 450 watt power supply
5. He is going to put a video card into it, instead of just the on board video.
6. Forgot to ask about the DVD Burner?
7. Anything else I should look for?

All for $885.00.

To me that sounds fair.

Any recommendations? Remember, I just want a great Office tool.

Edited by Johnz414, 07 March 2008 - 05:42 PM.

John

"Genius is nothing other than pointing out the obvious",
Albert Einstein.

"I am what I am and that is all that I am, I am Popeye the Sailor Man", Popeye.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smurfgod

smurfgod

• Members
  • 446 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2008 - 05:45 PM

You could build a better one for less, close to half that price actually, but the guy's gotta make a living right. The 450W PSU is fine for that setup, The only time you would run into problems is if you decided to run 2 video cards at the same time. and since you're not gaming that's not an issue.
If you're interested in saving some money look at http://www.newegg.com or www.tigerdirect.com. But if you're set on that PC you should be fine with it.

#3 Johnz414

Johnz414
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 478 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2008 - 06:06 PM

OK,

If I want to build a better one where do I begin, what do you recommend?

I'm sure that I can assemble one, I just need to know what parts to get.

Like I said I just want a very high performance Office tool:

1. That can easily handle multi tasking.
2. And that will also play the Internet Radio music that I've spent for ever rating so that it plays just what I want it to.

:thumbsup:
John

Albert Einstein.

#4 smurfgod

smurfgod

• Members
  • 446 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2008 - 08:38 PM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813131188 135.00
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820227189 1 or 2 kits 35-70
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817153052 45
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16811146025 50
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16819117135 200
and since the video card isn't THAT important for what you want
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814130062 85
oops, forgot the HDD lol http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16822148152 219.00 but its fast and all the space you're gonna need, barring extreme movie storage.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16827135156 37
Grand total with 4G RAM is 841.00 (after rebates, before shipping)
A lot of the choices could be tweaked obviously But i guarantee its a lot better PC than what they're selling you

Actually thinking about buying that case myself now lol, looks pretty sweet

Edited by smurfgod, 07 March 2008 - 08:54 PM.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,086 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2008 - 10:49 AM

Dell seems an obvious alternative...and you don't have to assemble :thumbsup:.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 08 March 2008 - 10:49 AM.

#6 Johnz414

Johnz414
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 478 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2008 - 12:28 PM

I don't mind gaining the experience of assembly. I've taken my current PC apart enough to know that I probably can handle it. And what I will learn will have to be invaluable.

And then there is the reason for assembling myself, because I should end up with a far Superior PC then one pre-assembled, no?

In fact that would be the only reason to assemble it myself.

And if I am going to get that much better of a PC for teh price then I won't mind.

Really, I'm pretty sure that I'll be able to assemble it, it is just that I can really use the help in choosing the parts to assemble.

So, now all I need to do is research what smurfgod posted to see what he's suggested.

I'll be sure to post any questions that I'll have.

But thanks for the help.

PS Maybe I'll take this to the "System Building and Upgrading" forum.
John

Albert Einstein.

#7 Johnz414

Johnz414
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 478 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2008 - 01:14 PM

OK,

I've looked at everything you recommended smurfgod and I'm impressed that you can put together a list so quickly. It would take me at least a few weeks to get that far, if then.

1. I do have a question about the DDR memory though? I thought that memory was always much more expensive. Certainly, I've been told that memory is the last thing that one wants to skimp on, that if you don't get good memory then you're asking for trouble.

So, my question is: Is $40.00 for memory enough? Don't I want to make sure that isn't going to ever fail on me?

I mean I just got done paying $80.00 for some real old stuff for my current PC.

So, is this choice for memory safe? Or should I look for something a little better? Just want to make sure.

2. My second question is about the Chip. Milwaukee PC said that in the "Intel Cor Dual E 6550" that when they say 2.2 GHz that they mean per Cor so that will be a total of 4.4 GHz operating frequency.

That would mean for the Duo Cor that you're recommending the total frequency will be 5.32 GHz? That will be nice. Is that right?

3. I did say that the video card isn't that important. However, I do have dreams of viewing on my 32" TV from my PC. Most people that I've talked to have said the PC video card technology really isn't that far along for this yet. Is that right, or is there a way to include this dream here now?

-Download movies to my TV.
-Conferences to my TV
-Etc.?

4. The Mother Board looks great, has room for 5 cards, only two memory slots but everything else on it looks fine.

5. The power supply seems ample, 500 watts.

6. The case great. Wow!

7. The HD I'm looking forward to getting. That's a wow!

8. And I can't wait to upgrade my DVD Player/Recorder. Wow, what they offer for the same price that I paid for mine years ago. Wow! I should have some fun with that.

I do like what you've presented and I'm not sure that I can tweak it myself for making even better choices. But if you're willing to help out here I couldn't be more ecstatic on the prospect of getting twice the PC for the same price.

So, any help that you want and are willing to throw my way I really will appreciate. Thanks.

Edited by Johnz414, 08 March 2008 - 01:16 PM.

John

Albert Einstein.

#8 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 AM

Posted 08 March 2008 - 04:41 PM

OCZ is good memory, though I prefer Crucial. Memory can get more expensive the older it gets quit frankly, because they put it on the production back-burner. Don't forget heatsink compound. I personally would go with a different heatsink
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#9 Johnz414

Johnz414
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 478 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2008 - 07:07 PM

OK garmanma,

Heatsink? Is that the "Jell" used to cool the DDR?

OK, what do I need to know about this. I'm quit unfamiliar with it?

You recommend a different heatsink?

Please explain if you would be so kind. Thanks.

PS Nice to see you again. You've commented on this same subject for me a little while back. But my time to make/get a new PC is getting closer. I can feel it in my bones.

So, any help will be greatly appreciated, want to make sure I do it right, you know.
John

Albert Einstein.

#10 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2008 - 08:16 PM

The heatsink is the radiator-looking device mounted on top of the CPU. It has to match the socket on the motherboard
One Example
To transfer heat, effectively, between the CPU and the heatsink you need thermal compound. Even though the mating surfaces look smooth, there are still voids that need to be filled. You'll see a lot of gamers and modders "lap" the heatsink. In other words they use various ultra-fine grits of emery paper until the bottom of the heatsink has a mirror finish
Thermal compound
How to apply compound
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#11 Johnz414

Johnz414
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 478 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2008 - 08:44 PM

So you're saying that the -

Intel Xeon 3075 2.66GHz 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor

doesn't have the best heatsink.

So, do you recommend the Chip? And if so, then would I just buy a different heatsink to substitute the the one that comes with it? Also, what heatsink would you recommend?

And are there any other recommendation's that you might give for what smurfgod recommended.

I really don't mind assembling a PC, I just want to get started on it and I want to make sure that I am getting the best I can for what I want.

Which is the best multi tasking office tool that I can make that will also play music and music videos best. If I can get it to play on my TV that would also be great.

Any suggestions what so ever will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Edited by Johnz414, 08 March 2008 - 08:47 PM.

John

Albert Einstein.

#12 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2008 - 10:24 PM

I'd use what I posted in the link in my previous post
Mark
Posted Image

#13 smurfgod

smurfgod

• Members
  • 446 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2008 - 10:15 AM

Editing as i read down, But the reason i linked that memory is because it was the only brand that newegg guaranteed for that motherboard, using their memory configurator. And it was High Performance/Gaming RAM and running multiple office applications you're going to want it quick.
And yea i'd consider a different heatsink also, the review i read on it said the heatsink the CPU came with was pretty, well not so good :thumbsup: Listen to garmanma or someone else on the choice, the last time I put in a CPU the AthlonXP 3500+ was cutting edge lol.
But the 3 most important choices you're going to make on this is the CPU, RAM and motherboard. I would really put into consideration filling all 4 of the DDR2 slots with 1G sticks. The board i linked has DDR3 slots also, but that's not very cost effective at this point in time, but would be available later when the price on the RAM isn't retarded

Edited by smurfgod, 09 March 2008 - 10:29 AM.

#14 over_mind

over_mind

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2008 - 11:34 AM

I'm not sure just how much of a difference it's going to make, but smurfy why did you recommend a server processor for him? Why not recommend the e6750 that is $10 less at the same 2.66 GHz?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16819115029

Also, if you get a more modern card like the 8600 gt such as the one here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814130085
you'll get better options for video playback than the older 7600.

One more thing, Johnz your computer shouldn't be using too much power so any good quality power supply of 450 and up should do just fine.

Edited by over_mind, 09 March 2008 - 11:41 AM.

#15 Johnz414

Johnz414
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 478 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2008 - 01:18 PM

Hey Guys,

This is great. If I can keep you guys going at it for a bit longer, mutually enlightening each other, I'm bound to get the best PC for the money I'll ever get.

So, to do just that:

over_mind, is the chip that you recommend's heatsink good enough?

smurfgod, do think this is a better chip that over_mind recommends? Do I need to change the heatsink with this one as well?

Also, I sure am looking to maximize the video card to choose.

So, if the 8600 GT is a best fit video card for what I'm trying to do I'll take it.

Any comments on that welcome.

And, if anyone has a suggestion for a best 3 way combo of "CPU, RAM and motherboard" for what I'm trying to do I will be glad to hear it now before I have to hold my peace.

The mother board recommended does look descent and I will fill all 4 DDR2 slots as recommended if I use this motherboard.

Again, I'm just looking to maximize my PC for being the best OFFICE tool that I can make. I also want it to be a great music and music video player while I do my work.

Being able to run conferences, tutorials and even movies to a TV would be a great plus too? Being able to record TV programs of interest would be an additional dream come true.

Again, I'm not sure where the technology is on doing the Media Center stuff along with the OFFICE stuff but I'll listen to what ever recommendations that you guys have to say and certainly take seriously your recommendations for what is going to serve me best.

Thanks,

Edited by Johnz414, 09 March 2008 - 01:42 PM.

John

Albert Einstein.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users