Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Will Not Boot From Cd Or Hd

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 netsurferdude2

netsurferdude2

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 PM

Posted 07 March 2008 - 05:16 PM

I have been searching around on the internet for a solution to my problem. This place has some similar post so I decided to post it here to see if you all can help.

Ok....

Well about 2 days ago, I go to my computer in the morning and it is shut off. I usually leave the computer in hibernation. I go to turn on the computer, it goes through the normal BIOS screen then comes some screen with some lettering, both of which are normal, then comes Windows. The Black windows XP screen appears with the little blue sliding/loading bar at the bottom.

This is where the magic happens.

Right when the windows screen ends, my computer usually would go to a flat black screen with a flashing little text/bar thing. After a few seconds it would then proceed to the Log in menu.

I said usually because this hasnt happened as of late. Instead, it goes to s flat black screen and just sits there doing nothing.

I thought my XP was bad so I put in the XP disc and want to repair it. I insert the disk and boot from it. It goes through all the loading of drivers and then comes to "windows is loading", "windows is starting" or something to that nature and stops there. It just sits with that written at the bottom of the blue screen. I let it sit for about an hour on one occasion. I tried this about 5 or so times.

It is not getting to the screen where it asks if you want to reinstall or repair windows. It doesnt make it that far. I even tried different windows XP discs. I started with a SP2 disc, then tried an SP1a, then an SP1. None of them worked, they all gave me this same problem.

My cousin knows more about computers and problems like this than I do so I ask him for advice.

He says, maybe the DVD drive is bad. So I open the box and unplug the power from the DVD drive and try booting from the HD. Windows wont start at all.
Now I go into the Setup screen before windows and rearrange my boot order so that the DVD rom never boots, just the HD does. Now I get that same problem as before. It stops after the windows screen.

Now he says do the same thing but keep the DVD plugged in but unplug the HD and just boot off the CD. I go through it all again and boot from the CD. BAM it happens again. It loads the drivers and stuff but stops when it says that windows is loading.

I took out all USB devices and replaced the keyboard with a PS-2 keyboard. Still the same, nothing different.

I dont know what to do. It wont load windows from my hard drive, it wont load windows off a windows XP CD.

We are thinking it is a problem with the motherboard which is a ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe Motherboard (AMD Socket AM2 CPU)

Any suggestions? Do you need any more info?

Thanks for the help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 PM

Posted 07 March 2008 - 05:20 PM

I try to test the ram and the power supply, it doesn't sound like the hard drive

It could very well be the motherboard and/or the cpu

Is the inside clean?

Always fix or test the easiest components first
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Visual C++ STL Maintainer

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 PM

Posted 07 March 2008 - 05:22 PM

Do you have access to another computer with a cd burner, and a blank disk?

If so, do you have experience with ISO files?

If so, Download Memtest86+ and burn it to a cd.

Boot your machine with that cd and let it run for about 2 hours (it will run forever until rebooted)

See if there are any errors.

Please post back with your results as a reply.

Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,411 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2008 - 06:02 PM

Can you access the BIOS?

Louis

#5 netsurferdude2

netsurferdude2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2008 - 11:59 PM

I will try that memory test tomorrow morning.

Yes I can get into BIOS. I dont know much of anything beyond that point.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,411 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2008 - 09:44 AM

The BIOS settings include boot options.

If you had been booting from IDE-0, which should be the hard drive/partition with XP on it, then...in order to boot from anything else, it must be spelled out in the BIOS.

So....when you say that you tried to boot with a CD unsuccessfully, did you change the BIOS boot options before trying that?

Louis

#7 speedytimzalez

speedytimzalez

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2008 - 10:00 AM

A couple questions...
First, what was the last thing you did (installed programs etc...) before you had the problem?

Can you log in to safe mode? If not try this, when the windows loading screen comes on (black screen blue load bar) unplug the computer and re-start it. (this usually forces a safe mode boot)

This problem really sounds like a bad bios setting. But before you start editing we have to knock out the obvious.

#8 netsurferdude2

netsurferdude2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2008 - 01:32 PM

Ok to answer you both:

I had my cousin walk me through the BIOS stuff that I did. All we did was try to change the boot order. It was orginally set to Removeable drive ->Hard drive -> CD drive. We try all different orders and removals of them. Nothing helped

Cant log in safe mode, safe mode with networking or normal mode

I am running the memtest now.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,411 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2008 - 02:07 PM

In the past, I've found that...in some cases, I had to reset all three boot options to the CD/DVD drive...before the boot would take place.

Once I made the optical drive the 1st, 2d, and 3d options...it all worked.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users