Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cant Start Up Even In Safe Mode

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 davidstpatrick

davidstpatrick

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 PM

Posted 07 March 2008 - 05:14 PM

Due to various really stupid reasons my computer got plugged out without being shut down properly a few times and now will not start up at all. ive tried to make it start in safe mode by hitting f8, but nothing happens. it wont go any further than the very first screen saying dell.com. its a dell dimension 4400 with windows xp and i really need to have it going again before tomorrow if at all possible. any suggestions anyone has will be much appreciated. thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ucanfixit

ucanfixit

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 AM

Posted 07 March 2008 - 05:26 PM

Have you looked at the diagnostic lamps A,B,C,D when it fails to boot?
See here: http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim4400/

#3 davidstpatrick

davidstpatrick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2008 - 06:10 PM

Im looking at it now thanks for the tip. any idea whether i could reinstall xp without being able to start up? if so would i lose any of my files?

#4 skyfuser

skyfuser

• Members
  • 470 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 AM

Posted 07 March 2008 - 06:32 PM

Do you have a recovery disk for reformatting?
If you reformat you lose everything...
"If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way." - Bertrand Russell

#5 ucanfixit

ucanfixit

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2008 - 06:33 PM

If the no start condition is not directly related to a hardware failure, then maybe but check out those diagnostic lamps and also run the Dell diagnostics by hitting F12 at boot (I think it's F12) and follow the prompts.

Edited by ucanfixit, 07 March 2008 - 06:34 PM.

#6 davidstpatrick

davidstpatrick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2008 - 06:58 PM

i couldnt get it to start in safe mode by pressing f8 so f12 probably wont do anything either. but thanks for that i wouldnt have known to look there. im hoping to get a hold of windows xp, but i suppose its more than likely the problem is hardware related since it wasnt shut down properly?

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 AM

Posted 08 March 2008 - 09:28 AM

IMO...

Since it wasn't shut down properly, the chances of it being a corrupted files problem is higher than any chance of hardware failure.

Causes of Data Corruption - http://ezinearticles.com/?Causes-of-Data-C...n&id=817785

File Corruption & Its Consequences - http://www.smartcomputing.com/editorial/ar...3.asp&guid=

The cure might vary, but all attempted cures that I know basically depend upon the Recovery Console (chkdsk /r, fixboot, fixmbr).

Louis

#8 speedytimzalez

speedytimzalez

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 AM

Posted 08 March 2008 - 10:06 AM

Can you access bios?

#9 davidstpatrick

davidstpatrick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2008 - 03:36 PM

the diagnostic lamps are telling me the memory modules are unseated. they havent moved or anything so i dont know if that means the ram has just been fried or what. i dont know about bios but i dont think theres anything happening at all so i doubt it

#10 ucanfixit

ucanfixit

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2008 - 05:06 PM

Ok, so you have an apparent hardware problem. First, unseat and reseat both memory chips and retest. No good? Next, try running on 1 chip at a time (ie, process of elimination) until the defective one is found. However, before you try that last step, you may have to make a change in the bios to run on just one chip (ie, change from dual channel/hyperthreading to single channel/no hyperthreading if applicable) or maybe the bios will auto adjust on boot. You are almost there now, let us know the results.

#11 davidstpatrick

davidstpatrick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2008 - 05:55 PM

Right yes i managed to get it to start up finally. i'll have to buy some new ram but im quite relieved to have it going again. thanks to everybody for your time and help i wouldnt've had a clue what to do. cheers

#12 ucanfixit

ucanfixit

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2008 - 06:11 PM

Right yes i managed to get it to start up finally. i'll have to buy some new ram but im quite relieved to have it going again. thanks to everybody for your time and help i wouldnt've had a clue what to do. cheers

Good for you!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users