Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Get Dsl (damn Small Linux) To Boot From Cd With Or Without Boot Floppy!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 PC GEEK

PC GEEK

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 AM

Posted 07 March 2008 - 05:08 PM

Well...pretty self evident title here guys, I just can't seem to get DSL to boot from my old machine....here's the specs if i remember right

64mb pc100 ram
48x cd-rw drive
celeron 433mhz
probably an intel mobo but I'm not positive (it's out of an old gateway that had win98 on it)
and there's no hdd...that's why i need to get dsl to boot live!!! ahhh!!!

Here's what I have tried, but I'm a linux noob...but I've used it before..just don't know the workings of it....:

Regular DSL (ver 4.2.4) on a bootable CD-RW disc..no go..
Regular DSL (ver 2.2) on a bootable CD-RW disc..no go..
DSL (ver 2.2) on a bootable CD-RW disc with helper boot floppy..no go..

NOW HERE'S THE FUNNY THING..which may or may not help in this problem, but I popped in my Kubuntu live distro..and after about 5 minutes, it started booting!!!! but dues to system specs, I know it wouldn't run and it did eventually freeze at the loading screen...but I'm guessing that this tells me the machine does support booting from cd, which is also evident in the BIOS as that option is available.

It's just an old obsolete machine that i was trying to get working but if I can't, it's not a big deal...just experimenting....Thanks for any help!

Zac

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Visual C++ STL Maintainer

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 07 March 2008 - 05:19 PM

My guess is that DSL doesnt have some of the drivers necessary to boot on this machine.

Remember that DSL is command prompt only, and doesnt have some of the nice tools Kubuntu has (No Apt-Get, or any package manager for that matter).

If you havent used anything but Kubuntu before, you're making quite a big jump.

You might want to try slackware as a middle step. Getting DSL to work perfectly can require knowledge of the linux module system, which is something I dont have, and therefore cannot help you.

Heres a link for slackware: http://www.slackware.com/

Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#3 PC GEEK

PC GEEK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 AM

Posted 07 March 2008 - 06:00 PM

thanks billy but remember I only have 64mb of ram, and i have no harddrive, so would slackware be bootable on my machine?

#4 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Visual C++ STL Maintainer

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 07 March 2008 - 06:02 PM

Slackware is command line only as well. It is similar to DSL, but has a wider driver set.

But the no hard disk is the killer.

What are you planning to use this for?

Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users