Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Usb Port?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Fantasyfreak

Fantasyfreak

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 07 March 2008 - 04:45 PM

Hi, I'm running a pretty old P.C.

It has two USB ports built in on my tower for me to plug USB cables into.

These seem to have stopped working, not picking up anything I plug in.

Is there anything I can do to get them working? or could I fit in some new ones easily? :thumbsup:

Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks, Fantasyfreak.

EDIT; Sorry, I think I posted this in the wrong place, I'm sure a mod will move though.

Edited by Fantasyfreak, 07 March 2008 - 04:52 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ucanfixit

ucanfixit

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 AM

Posted 07 March 2008 - 05:07 PM

You can add usb 2.0 ports via a PCI add-on card:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....me=4x+USB+Ports

Or you can try and fix your existing problem if it is not hardware related. The first thing I would try is to delete all references to the Universal Serial Bus Controllers in the Device Manager and then reboot to allow XP to rediscover and reinitialize the hardware. Then retest to see if anything has changed.

Edited by ucanfixit, 07 March 2008 - 05:08 PM.

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 AM

Posted 07 March 2008 - 05:38 PM

Chances are when you install the card, your other ports will work also. I was having trouble with a USB card reader that decided to work when I installed mine

Edited by garmanma, 07 March 2008 - 05:39 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 Fantasyfreak

Fantasyfreak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 08 March 2008 - 12:45 PM

Thanks guys, I will to fix first, but it's good to know I can just buy new ones at a decent price if not :thumbsup:

Thanks, Fantasyfreak.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users