Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading For Gaming

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Chaoticflame

Chaoticflame

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 AM

Posted 07 March 2008 - 03:05 PM

First of all, I'm trying to decide whether it would just be better to resell this computer and buy a newer, better one or just go ahead and try to upgrade it. The reason I'm wanting to do this is for gaming, mainly World of Warcraft. While it does run the game fairly, I'm concerned about the lag I'm experiencing during play. And don't even ask it to go to windowed mode, it plainly refuses. Since I've given WoW full permission for both firewalls (router and software), I know it can't be that. I always have an excellent signal, so I figure it has to either be the graphics card, the amount of RAM or even the CPU. Since it's a laptop, I figure it would easier just to replace the RAM or the graphics card rather than having to go in and change out the motherboard entirely.

I figured I'd start with upgrading the RAM. I've been rummaging through some earlier threads and I went ahead and ran the scanner from Crucial, but I got an error saying that their System Scanner couldn't make a complete match. I even went in manually and couldn't find my model. (HP Pavilion dv6327 cl)
Here's what it found though:

The following is a list of what our scan was able to detect:
System Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
System Model: HP Pavilion dv6000 (RV012UA#ABA)
Motherboard Manufacturer: Quanta
Motherboard Model: 30B7
Maximum Memory Capacity: 2097152 MB
Currently Installed Memory: 1024 MB
Available Memory Slots: N.A.
Number of Banks: 2
Dual Channel Support: N.A.
CPU Manufacturer: AuthenticAMD
CPU Family: AMD Turion™ 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-52 Model 8, Stepping 2
CPU Speed: 800 MHz

Really, all I want to do is put in 4GB or if nothing else, at least 2. Can anybody help me? Should I replace or upgrade? And if I do upgrade, what should I use?
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Vaerli

Vaerli

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 AM

Posted 07 March 2008 - 04:42 PM

Your processor speed is probably the problem. At 800mhz, WoW is probably dying for more speed. RAM can't do everything...

Its probably easier to buy a complete new computer rather than upgrade a labtop's processor or mobo...

Q6600, 4GB g-skill, 8800GT, P5N-D motherboard
Posted Image
My art

#3 crosswire1234

crosswire1234

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2008 - 12:13 PM

yup,a 800mhz processor is too slow.Go for complete upgradation right from motherboard.

#4 Chaoticflame

Chaoticflame
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2008 - 01:42 PM

Well, that's funny....It says it's supposed to be 1.6 GHz. Why is it only running at 800 MHz?
Posted Image

#5 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2008 - 02:08 PM

It probably is a 1.6ghz. No way an older motherboard with an older processor can hold over a gb of ram. I just recently looked at a laptop with a pentium 3 800mhz processor and it could only support up to 512mb. Also I've never seen a dual core less then 1.4ghz, but you never know.

AMD has a cool n quiet feature that underclocks the processor when its not under heavy usage. Your laptop was probably doing this because you weren't doing anything that needed it. This is good for laptops because they get hot and this keeps the processor a bit cooler, and I think it also uses a bit less power underclocked.

Anyway, your processor should be fine. 1gb of ram should be alright too but 2gb would probably help. I think the problem is your graphics card. I bet that laptop has integrated Intel graphics. They are not good for games at all... if you go to start, run, and type, dxdiag for xp (just type dxdiag in the search bar for vista) , a box should come up with your computers information. Go to the tab that says what the display adapter is, and post back here with the info.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#6 Chaoticflame

Chaoticflame
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2008 - 02:14 PM

Anyway, your processor should be fine. 1gb of ram should be alright too but 2gb would probably help. I think the problem is your graphics card. I bet that laptop has integrated Intel graphics. They are not good for games at all... if you go to start, run, and type, dxdiag for xp (just type dxdiag in the search bar for vista) , a box should come up with your computers information. Go to the tab that says what the display adapter is, and post back here with the info.

Actually it's an entertainment notebook with a much nicer graphics card, though not the best. It's says it's an NVidia GeForce Go 6150. I can also go in and mess with the graphics/video settings for the card but I've left it on default for now. Not sure if that helps.

Edited by Chaoticflame, 08 March 2008 - 02:14 PM.

Posted Image

#7 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2008 - 02:17 PM

hmm, ya those should play WoW alright. You could try going into the games options and seeing if turning down some graphic settings help. Also, have you updated the drivers lately?
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#8 Chaoticflame

Chaoticflame
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2008 - 02:24 PM

I had downloaded the newest driver (at the time) but I had issues with this comp and had to do a complete overhaul and reinstall the entire OS because my original had been corrupted. Now I'm not even entirely sure if the copy of that driver installation is valid since I had downloaded and copied it to and from a corrupted system. So to answer your question, no. I haven't re-upgraded my device driver. I'll just go and re-download it later and try that.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users