Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

what do you know about emachienes

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 t.5000

t.5000

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 PM

Posted 15 March 2005 - 07:58 PM

I am looking into emachienes and don't know much about them, or their referbished notebooks. I am looking into the M6410 does anyone have advice. It looks pritty good..but..?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hays47

hays47

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2005 - 10:22 PM

Not real familiar with their laptops. I think I have only heard two people that were satisfied with their particular E-Machine computers. I have heard from several hundred who are extemely unhappy with their E- machines. read several posts on Emachines on this site and then see if that helps your decision.
I plan to live forever , so far , plan is working.

#3 The Trip

The Trip

• Members
  • 244 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2005 - 11:21 AM

I have used an E-Machines Desktop for 2-3 years now. It has been pretty reliable, I have never had any problems with it (other than Human-Errors). It is slow, but I think that is due to the processor--Celeron 1.10 with only 128MB SDRAM.
Which after looking at the specs on the M6410 it obviosly has much better hardware.

IMHO the reason why people think of eMachines as such junk , is because at one point they made some faulty machines. They would crash, I know this because my Uncle's Cousin was in charge of finding a good, cheap, reliable computer, for their buisness to use, they ordered like 300, hooked them all up, and they ended up being a bad investment....my uncle's cousin was fired.

That being said, you would,nt think that they would make the same mistake twice and really screw them-selves over, and take more attention to what their putting in their machines.

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2005 - 01:45 PM

Refurbished computers, and this applies to any manufacturer, are generally computers returned by customers. You have to consider why the computer was returned; a faulty part that simple replacement will fix, unwarrented disastifaction with the product without any real hardware or software problem, major hardward problems, etc.etc.. The problem is that you never know the extent of what was needed to refurbish the computer, or for that matter the quality of workmanship even though the computer may have passed some initial testing.
Bottom line:
In return for a cheaper computer, you are taking a larger chance than with a new computer that you may have future problems with it (even if covered by a warrantee) and may have to return it for additional repairs.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 PM

Posted 19 March 2005 - 02:23 PM

I've been using an E-machines for about a year and a half now, and i love it. It's given me a lot less problems than my last couple of dell's and Gateways.

I have an E-machines AMD Athlon 2400+ 512mb RAM that came with Windows XP Home. A pretty good value at only $499 brand new. The only troubles i've had were caused by me, not the hardware (except i can't get rid of this "ghost drive" that's been popping up recently.....), but haven't determined the cause of it yet.

The big downside is that it has an extremely sorry Video Card (S3 ProSavage 32mb), but i guess most factory boxes come with crappy video cards.

#6 junkdk

junkdk

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2005 - 05:58 PM

First, eMachines makes great basic computers. I had one for years and my Father still owns one. I have had no complaints other than its basic.

The real question here is should you buy a refurbished product. I say NO! Not in computers that is.

Unfortunatly, the tech's who refurbish the product doesn't make much money and quality becomes an issue.

No offense to anyone who is a tech, but you know what I mean. I would buy an open box, display, or even used before I buy a refurbished computer (used is a stretch).

It's luck of the draw when it comes to bying a refurbished product. Sorry, I know thats not what you wanted to hear.

Good Luck,

Junkdk :thumbsup:

Edited by junkdk, 19 March 2005 - 06:01 PM.

Your Hardware Guide.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users