Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem On Boot; Monitor Flickers Then Blacks

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 orcheon

orcheon

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 AM

Posted 07 March 2008 - 01:13 PM

Nvidia 7800 GTX.
ASUS A8V-XE.
AMD Athlon 3400+.
48x CD-RW, 16x DVD-ROM
2048 MB RAM DDR-400(2x 512 1x 1024)
160 GB HARD DRIVE [S-ATA] Western Digital 160 GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache
And a new power supply that I just installed this morning, 500W, replacing my old 400W.

What the computer does is on bootup, the screen flickers, and sometimes it gets to the windows screen and goes black, and sometimes it doesn't and still goes black. The lights in the front of the case(Trinity ATX Mid-Tower Case) go red.
This was also occuring before I installed the new power supply; I assumed my power supply was dead and It needed to be replaced.
Any ideas?

The computer is almost 3 years old, but i've replaced the power supply 3 times(when the computer arrived, another one about a year and a half later and once today) and the motherboard once(about 6 months ago), and the CPU once.

Atm, I can't boot up in safe mode, either, but I can access the BIOS.
My first thoughts are--
Fried Video Card.
Problem in BIOS(I did reset it to the default)
Edit:I suppose it's also possible that I installed the PSU wrong, but the fact that the computer is doing the same thing tells me that it's not.

Also, prior to installing the new PSU the computer was saying at boot that the POST was interrupted or overclock fail(or something like that), but I don't overclock. Since installing the new PSU, it has stopped saying that at boot.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,887 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2008 - 01:55 PM

Hmm...have you changed the CMOS battery at all...during this interval you were replacing everything else?

Windows behaves weirdly when that battery runs down, costs less than $5 to replace.

That's the first thing I would suspect, in light of what you posted.

CMOS Battery. - http://www.geocities.com/micksmix2000/cmosbatt.html

You've replaced a lot (IMO) in a short time...I guess that my second guess/suspect would be the power where you live. It happens, although I've never experienced it.

Louis

#3 orcheon

orcheon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2008 - 02:15 PM

There any way to feasibly test that without going to buy a new one?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,887 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2008 - 02:35 PM

Not that I'm aware of...lots of things I'm not aware of :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users