Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Remote Access

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 doctorphibes

doctorphibes

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 AM

Posted 07 March 2008 - 01:08 PM

Hi everyone,
I've been a member here for a while but have never posted so let me introduce myself. My name is Jerry but my friends just call me doc (an old nickname from nam),. So Hello!!!
Now for my question: Recently I've had a LOT of problems with people(or person) trying to hack or infect my pc. I just got another one my myriad of spyware-anti-virus tools picked it up, :thumbsup: called "Graybird.? (i forgot the second part of the name although I'm sure sommeone will know what I'm talking about) anyway my anti-virus just picked up a riskware in my "System Volume" that was a reboot tool. I'm assuming that it's used to simply reinstall the malware as soon as you reboot your pc. Maybe I'm wrong as I'm a bit of a noob. Anyway, is how can I go about pinging to see if someone has gained access to my pc remotely? Or can I even do it at all? If not is there a way to find out or prevent the possibility of it happening at all in the future? I appreceiate any consideration anyone gives to reading my ranting and a possible answer to my post. Anyway nice to make everyones aquaintance and have a good one.
Later!
Doc
I am enough of the artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. Albert Einstein

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,572 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 AM

Posted 07 March 2008 - 01:30 PM

Well...there are anti-malware programs...and there are malware programs that masquerade as anti-malware programs :thumbsup:.

Why don't you tell us the actual name and version of the program you used for this "notification"...and also tell us what programs are installed on your system for the purpose of finding/defeating malware of all sorts.

As for items in System Restore folders...it used to be a common suggestion for anyone using SR and attempting to rid themselves of known malware...to temporarily turn off SR when making the attempt (otherwise, the malware may merely reside in one of the folders (one for each partition) you mentioned.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users