Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Moving Hard Drive Into New Pc

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Bird125

Bird125

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 AM

Posted 07 March 2008 - 12:50 PM

Hello all.
Iím new to Bleeping Computer. Great site. Everyone seems very helpful to one another.

I recently did a clean install of XP Pro to a system I was building from scratch. The PC works great. Itís lightning fast.
I know XP has a file transfer feature but I have some files on an old Win98 PC and the transfer will not work with 98.
Does anyone have any tips on getting those files to my new PC?
I could burn them on some discs but there is about 20 GBís worth of stuff.
I was wondering if this would work. Remove the HDD from the 98 PC and change it from a master to a slave drive, then install it into the XP PC. Cut the files and move them into a new XP folder.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Edited by Bird125, 07 March 2008 - 12:51 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,385 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 AM

Posted 07 March 2008 - 01:43 PM

Just connect the hard drive (temporarily) from System 1...to System 2...and move the files to wherever you want on System 2.

You can disconnect the optical drive temporarily if you must and attach the old drive in its place.

Change the jumper setting to match whatever is reflected on the System 2 drives (Master or Slave or Cable Select).

If these are data files, nothing can be easier.

If these are installed program files, it's not going to happen.

Louis

#3 Bird125

Bird125
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 AM

Posted 08 March 2008 - 03:01 AM

Just connect the hard drive (temporarily) from System 1...to System 2...and move the files to wherever you want on System 2.

You can disconnect the optical drive temporarily if you must and attach the old drive in its place.

Change the jumper setting to match whatever is reflected on the System 2 drives (Master or Slave or Cable Select).

If these are data files, nothing can be easier.

If these are installed program files, it's not going to happen.

Louis

Thanks for the confirmation. Got all the files from both HD's
Thanks again. :thumbsup:

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,385 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 AM

Posted 08 March 2008 - 10:52 AM

Feedback appreciated, happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users