Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Paging File

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 msparsons

msparsons

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 PM

Posted 07 March 2008 - 11:58 AM

Wondering what the setting should be for a paging file? Does it effect speed of computer? :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 AM

Posted 07 March 2008 - 12:16 PM

Hello,

The settings of the page file depend on the ammount of RAM available and also hard disk space. The minimum allowed is 2MBs and the max (on most XP systems) is 4096MBs. Traditionally a setting the value to one and a half times that of the available RAM is enough.

Many people will say that altering the page file will not produce any performance gains. To see any real performane gains would depend on the hardware being used.
Regards,

Alan.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 PM

Posted 07 March 2008 - 12:58 PM

Worth reading, IMO:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555223

Virtual Memory in Windows XP - http://winsupportcenter.com/win5/a/xpvm.htm

Pagefile Optimization - http://www.petri.co.il/pagefile_optimization.htm

http://www.howstuffworks.com/virtual-memory.htm

Louis

#4 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Visual C++ STL Maintainer

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 PM

Posted 07 March 2008 - 01:44 PM

The only real gain on modern systems is to set the initial and max sizes to the same value.

But PageFile performance gains are nill unless you are constantly running out of ram.

Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#5 Cyb3r_Ninj@

Cyb3r_Ninj@

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 PM

Posted 07 March 2008 - 03:14 PM

If you are maxing out your Page File size, or are getting notifications in Windows that you are running low on Virtual Memory, you may have a problem with one of the following:

:: You are maxing out your RAM putting excess information into your Paging File -> upgrade your RAM
:: You have multiple programs running in the background -> possible malware infection opening up excess services or programs which are depleting your available system RAM
:: You have multiple program windows open, more than your RAM can handle putting excess information into your Paging File -> close some windows, possibly upgrade your RAM

The only method to really increase speed on your machine is to upgrade your CPU, the bus and bus speed on your motherboard. Increasing RAM will help you take advantage of multiprocessing which is your machine's ability to process and work between multiple programs and services simultaneously. Although at any given time, there is only one process or program that is running, your CPU processor speed is rated in hertz (Hz) which is the number of cycles per second your processor is running. Because most processors nowadays are rated in MHz or GHz, this means that your CPU can run millions or billions of cycles (or processes) per second. Therefore, if you have an Intel Centrino processor rated at 1600 MHz (1.6 GHz), it can run 1 billion 600 million cycles in a given second - lightning fast so that it appears as if all programs you have running are being processed simultaneously.

You can read more on microprocessor speeds here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hertz

Edited by Cyb3r_Ninj@, 07 March 2008 - 03:23 PM.

Bill Gates recognizes the skills... so i suggest you start there and recognize them too...
:: digital.ronin ::

| MCP - ID 5646435, other certifications pending... |

#6 msparsons

msparsons
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 PM

Posted 07 March 2008 - 05:12 PM

Thanks! Mine was at 450 when should have been round 1500....glad i asked

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 PM

Posted 08 March 2008 - 08:11 AM

I've recently listened to an interesting presentation by David Solomon about Windows Memory Management (pre-Vista) and he states that there is no relationship between RAM size and pagefile size (with the exception of saving dump files).

So, as a lower limit, the pagefile should be at least the size of your physical RAM (to effectively save memory dumps). To effectively monitor the largest size, I'd suggest that you monitor pagefile activity in Task Manager...Performance tab to see what's being used.

I'm waiting for the free time to review the presentation - but it's 1 1/2 hours long and has a bunch of other stuff that I'd like to get out of it. So I dunno when/if I'll be able to post back here.

If you're interested, here's the link to the presentation: http://www.microsoft.com/emea/spotlight/se...001491050E0E6C3
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 PM

Posted 08 March 2008 - 10:02 AM

I always like questions about computer "speed"...since such are often quite nebulous and the reality is that speed increases in computers cannot often be perceived by common home users.

As for the pagefile...I've tried various locations and sizes, just for the heck of it...and came away convinced that the users like me should just allow XP to manage it's size and location. That seems to work seamlessly for me.

Tweakers do things just for the sake of it...I understand that nanoseconds mean more to them because they choose to make it more meaningful in their quest to squeeze "optimum performance" from a system they (presumably) are taking very good care of. Doing this is a way of life for them and it doesn't matter how truly meaningless the performance tweak might be...those nanoseconds and clock rates matter to them :thumbsup:.

Well, the average person inquiring about speeding up her/his system...probably isn't even doing basic maintenance/protection on the system, yet wants to optimize speed.

A contradiction, if you ask me.

Louis

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 PM

Posted 08 March 2008 - 08:50 PM

I've lived without a pagefile, and I've lived with one. These days I put my pagefile on a separate hard drive and it seems to help speed things up a bit. But it prevents me from saving dump files - so what's a fella to do? :thumbsup:
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users