Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help. Xp Pro Install.

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 sparko33

sparko33

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 AM

Posted 07 March 2008 - 11:00 AM

Hi all.
Doing a fresh install on my wifes medion laptop. Removed the partition and formatted the drive NTFS with no probs.
Started the install and everything is great untill i come to the personal setting. The option boxes (time date languages preferences) are over full screen size so i can't navigate to enter anything (just showing the top third of the box full screen)
Really stuck here so any help at all would be great.
Thankyou.
Colin.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ucanfixit

ucanfixit

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 AM

Posted 07 March 2008 - 11:17 AM

Hmmm... I'm guessing it must be bios related; however, not knowing your specific options, I would review the graphics options carefully and, if all else fails, try resetting the options to their factory default settings.

Edited by ucanfixit, 07 March 2008 - 11:18 AM.

#3 sparko33

sparko33
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2008 - 11:33 AM

Thanks ucan.
Being a sort of newbie, i am sitting here with my xp disc still in the laptop. I take it that i remove the disc and restart in bios and nose around any display options and reset them?
If thats right i'll give it a try.
Thanks.
Colin.

#4 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 AM

Posted 07 March 2008 - 11:50 AM

Page\Arrow keys been tried yet?

#5 sparko33

sparko33
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2008 - 11:56 AM

Thanks hitsquad.
Just tried you're advice but to no avail.
Colin.

#6 ucanfixit

ucanfixit

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2008 - 11:57 AM

Thanks ucan.
Being a sort of newbie, i am sitting here with my xp disc still in the laptop. I take it that i remove the disc and restart in bios and nose around any display options and reset them?
If thats right i'll give it a try.
Thanks.
Colin.

You got the idea...

#7 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2008 - 12:03 PM

I'd be more enclined to see if I could just "enter key" my way through setup rather then remove the cd in mid-stream.
Nothing in that section that can't be changed once the OS and video drivers are loaded. (if you can get that far)

Edited by HitSquad, 07 March 2008 - 12:06 PM.

#8 sparko33

sparko33
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2008 - 12:25 PM

Ok. Removed CD and started in bios. Only option there was to reset cmos, so i did. Rebooted and windows resumed installation.
Tried enter but got stuck when asked to type name of company or organization 'cause not able to see the text box.
Thanks.
Colin.

#9 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,540 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2008 - 12:33 PM

You wont find anything in the BIOS that will help you
The problem appears to me that Windows is running in low res at this point. Probably 640x480. That is why it is too big for you to see

Just hit enter thought the setup to take the defaults as HitSquad suggests.
Windows should adjust the dispay settings for you right before the desktop loads.
Then you need to install the appropriate drivers, if necessary
In the beginning there was the command line.

#10 ucanfixit

ucanfixit

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2008 - 12:36 PM

Ok. Removed CD and started in bios. Only option there was to reset cmos, so i did. Rebooted and windows resumed installation.
Tried enter but got stuck when asked to type name of company or organization 'cause not able to see the text box.
Thanks.
Colin.

Hmmm... Sorry that did not work. Ok then, maybe Hitsquad's suggestion is the only way to go for you. However, I would also like to add one other key function and that is the use of the tab key (which moves you to a different insertion point on a page (even if you can't see it). So use the return/enter key as suggested by Hitsquad, and if nothing happens (ie, the installation does not progress), hit the tab key and then enter. If prompted for a user name or company name, try typing it even if you can't see it.

Edited by ucanfixit, 07 March 2008 - 12:38 PM.

#11 ucanfixit

ucanfixit

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2008 - 12:45 PM

Hello eyesee,

It's a real shame that you weren't around to provide that information upfront and before the bios suggestion was actually tried but it is still a great piece of Monday Morning Quarterbacking!

#12 sparko33

sparko33
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2008 - 02:42 PM

Managed to get past six setup screens using tab/enter and a bit of guesswork but the date/time finally got me.
Laptop now on floor with broken hinge so i think i'll be looking on e-bay shortly.
Wife not at all happy but blamed the dog for jumping up.
Thanks for all you're help.
Colin.

#13 ucanfixit

ucanfixit

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2008 - 03:37 PM

Colin,

So sorry to hear that. Best of luck going forward.

#14 grap6b

grap6b

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 PM

Posted 07 March 2008 - 03:40 PM

There may be problem in the bios of your you wife's laptop. Or it is might possible that graphics are not set properly. Have you hit ENTER key from the keyboard to enter default date which later you can change. See if this works.

#15 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2008 - 08:02 AM

If you're using a copy of an XP installation CD that isn't the Medion CD - that may be the cause of the problem.
The solution would probably be to slipstream the video driver into the XP installation CD. I've never done it myself, but this google search may help: http://www.google.com/search?q=slipstream+...lient=firefox-a
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users