Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How To Make A Software Run In Limited User Accounts?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Wassim

Wassim

• Members
  • 376 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 AM

Posted 07 March 2008 - 08:14 AM

Hello, i have an application that i need to run it under Limited user account and it won't run.

I've looked online and i saw that we can use the cacls (acces list) but its not working or im not doing it right.

i also got a Run As script that automaticly fills the admin password without the user seeing it, it works perfect on all aplications except this one because it has a database and it is not running right.

Any other sugestions or anyone can help with editing access lists?

thanks.
"Stuffy Hall Admin of the Typing Skills Enhancing School Program"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 tswsl1989

tswsl1989

• Members
  • 260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 AM

Posted 07 March 2008 - 01:40 PM

Any chance of more details?
Specifically: Program Name, What you've done with cacls and the results you've had back, what version of XP you're running etc

Thanks,
Tom

Tswsl1989
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

#3 powerjuce

powerjuce

• Members
  • 321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 PM

Posted 07 March 2008 - 02:02 PM

dtaskmanager will allow you to run as a user
dtaskmanager

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,863 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 PM

Posted 07 March 2008 - 02:32 PM

Provided because above link did not work for me:

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/dtaskmanager.html

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 07 March 2008 - 02:34 PM.

#5 Wassim

Wassim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 376 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2008 - 05:07 PM

Im running windows XP Pro , the application is at my worplace network, its called Materials Control and it uses oracle database, it used to issue orders, inventories...

with cacls i used the following cacls "Program Files\newprogram" /e /t /p users:c and i got the list of the files within the folder i specified and it said it proccessed each one of them.

i dunno how to work with cacls more than what i mentioned i was hoping someone would show me the way.

actually when i used the VBS script it works on all applications perfectly and on the Material control but it does not load the database from the server when i run it with the script, the applications runs localy.

i will try dtaskmanager and see what happens.

thanks a lot guys.

#6 Wassim

Wassim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 376 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2008 - 05:56 PM

Ok guys i cheked out the dtaskmanager and it's not pretty helpful because most of the users on the workplace network are no computer experts and its not practical that they need to run dtaskamanger each time they want to use Material Control,

i need a way to that allows me to change the settings once for all.

#7 tswsl1989

tswsl1989

• Members
  • 260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 AM

Posted 08 March 2008 - 01:28 PM

Not familiar with Oracle, but you might want to check the permissions on the database itself
Tom

Tswsl1989
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users